300gr 44 magnum hollowpoints

youngunz4life

I was just curious to know how people feel about the 300gr hollowpoint in 44magnum rifle rounds whether good or bad? Do any of you use this round to hunt or in general how is this round good or bad or too much too little in the rifle echelon?

shootniron

I reload my 44mag ammo and I use 250gr cast bullets almost exclusively across the board in my 44mags and 44specs. I really do not hunt anything that requires the 300 and some of my guns would have a problem with the length of that round if I did use it.

hootey

Carried a 44mag marlin in the truck when I worked part time on a cattle ranch out in midwest. Only bullets I carried were 300gr Hornady hollow points. They were "devastatating" on the wild dog population. Recoil was pretty stiff with em fed through the marlin. I would hunt anything in north america with em. :D

Wishoot

I've been loading my Winchester 94 with 300gr Underwoods for deer. Unfortunately, the deer have been elusive and I haven't had a chance to experience their performance first-hand.

Potent little suckers, recoil-wise, thats for certain.

Rifleman1776

I have loaded some. They work.
Most of my .44 mag. loads are with 245gr hard cast SWCs. Also I have used a lot (couple thousand) of 215gr hard cast SWCs.
I'm not very big. The .44 mag. is fine for my shooting. However when I get up to the 300 gr. bullet with max-max loads it does become uncomfortable. A shooting 'session' with those, for me, is usually no more than one cylinder.

Jack O'Conner

My Ruger carbine has 1-20 twist and stabilizes all .429 and .430 bullets. I get best accuracy with Speer's 270 grain Deep Curl bullet. Performance is lethal with 100% penetration every time. I've never recovered an expanded bullet from a deer yet.

Hornady's 300 grain bullet is certainly effective. I watched a hunting video filmed in Australia featuring Lynn Thompson of COLD STEEL knives. He toppled tough water buffalo and wild hogs with his 44MAG revolver and these 300 grain bullets.

Jack

bamaranger

twist rate

In carbines, you may have to pay attention to the twist rate, as alluded to by Jack O. above. The Ruger lever .44s and the semi Ruger .44 had 1-20" twist, but ..........the old tube feed models were 1-38" and so were the early Win 94's, possibly the Marlin 1894's too, not sure about that. I have no idea about newer Marlins and Wins, or the various import levers.

The slower twisted barrels may not produce acceptable accuracy with the big 300's.

Why the mfg's decided on that early slow twist is anybody'd guess, 'cause the Super B, the M29 Smith were all twisted 1-20" and thought of as plenty accurate.