300gr .338 Bullets For Hunting WTB?

indy245

Does anyone know of a .338 300 grain hunting style bullet, I have looked at a few manufactures and the largest appeard to be 250 grain.

Indy.

Last edited:

Gun 4 Fun

I haven't shot any 338 bullets from them, but I have used their 416's, 423's both soft and solids and I can highly recommend them. Their bullets are reasonably priced for what you're getting, which is a bonded bullet of good design. In fact, they are one of the few manufacturers to make bullets of proper design and profile for double rifles, which can be very fussy about the bullets fired though them, as the bullet needs to closely resemble the bullet the gun was regulated with in shape and weight.

fourdogs

.338 is a great caliber. I commend you on you're choice.

I still have a few boxes of Barnes 300 Originals in my basement. Barnes is a quality bullet maker. The Original 300 grain in 338 was a great bullet. I looked at their website and don't see any 300's being offered anymore. Too bad, because I shot my share of them and like them a lot. Glad I have some left.

Gun 4 Fun

I too, have a very few of the barnes "O" 300's left, just not enough to do me any good. I have seen a few .338 Winnies listed with 1 in 12 twist rates, that's a little slow to properly stabilize that long bullet. I can easily push them to 2750 fps out of my .340 Wby. Even tho the Barnes isn't bonded, they tend to hold together well with that soft copper and pure lead.
the Woodleigh's seem to be more accurate to me.

indy245

Outstanding.
I looked up Woodleigh's distrubutors list and the only Canadian distributor is one of the gun stores I frequent, Corlane's Sporting Goods. They have a few boxes in stock. Thanks for the replies.

What twist rate would be recommended for that bullet?

Indy.

Gun 4 Fun

My .340 has a 1-10" twist. and it does fine, so I 'd say at least 1-10" due to the fact that years ago when the 300's were more popular, I read an article that said a 1-12" was a little to slow to properly stabilize them. I don't know what you plan to shoot them out of, but If it's a hotter .33, you might be able to get by with 1-12". If it's a .338 Winnie stick with 1-10" or even 1-8" if you plan to solely use that weight.