30'06 vs 308

SgtMeatballs

Hey guys, I'm not trying to start a burn thread or a big argument, I'm just looking for my first accurate medium/big game hunting rifle. I've already done several searches to no avail.

I'm looking to get a Marlin XL7 (based on price/reviews/like the synthetic stock/made in USA [Not positive but pretty sure]), in either a 30'06 or 308.

I want to know how much difference is there in effectiveness, price of ammunition, stopping power and recoil.

I'll possibly be diving into reloading and I understand both cartridges off many reloaders infinite possibities.

GeauxTide

For the '06 to get past the 308, you have to use 165 or better in a 24" barrel. My 22" barrelled 308 equaled my 24" 30-06 with 150s with better accuracy. So, if you're going to hunt >500# animals, go with the '06 in a 24" barrel. With proper loads, you can push 180s close to 2900. If you want a 308, go with a Ruger or Remington as they produce true short actions instead of a blocking a long action.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The '06 works best with longer barrels (24"-26") and handloads. For "off the rack" rifles and with factory ammo, they're as equal as makes no nevermind.

Odds are that .308 ammo will generally cost less.

Muzzle velocities are pretty much the same for 150- and 165-grain bullets, which will deal with any game animal in the lower 48. Effectiveness and recoil will be too close to tell the difference.

With barrel lengths around 20" or 22", I doubt that reloading to full potential will really help an '06 "out run" a .308. 26" is a whole 'nother country.

And if your hunting is mostly figured on shots of less than 300 yards, Bambi won't care--no matter what you do. :D

F. Guffey

"I'm looking to get a Marlin XL7 (based on price/reviews/like the synthetic stock/made in USA [Not positive but pretty sure]), in either a 30'06 or 308"

It is not eigher/or, the Marlin XL7 is available in 25/06, 270 and 30/06. If he wants a Marlin chambered for 308 it will be a lever action.

F. Guffey

Cousin Toad

Try a Marlin XS7

Sgt. Meatballs,

That Marlin rifle is available in .308, 7mm-08, and .243, but in the XS7. I happened to be thinking about this very rifle today and checked at the local Wally World and and there it was in their special order book behind the counter. I asked them to check the price and that XS7 came with a cheap 3 X 9 X 40 scope mounted for the small sum of 296 dollars.

I did not order it today, but if I can get the little wife on board with the purchase, I just might soon. :)