300 yard shooting

P-990

Tonight I attended my range's weekly 300 yard "league" shoot. We fire 20 round strings, from the prone position, anything goes (scopes, Ultra-mag rifles, sandbags to support the firearm). I was using my Dad's 1903A3, as is usual, and I came within one round of a possible on the first string and 2 rounds on the second. Considering that this once-a-week night is the ONLY time I really do high-power, long range shooting, is this a good thing?

FYI, this is the third shoot I've been to, and only the second time I have shot nothing but the Springfield for both strings. If you must know, I was "trained" by an NRA small-bore coach when I was 9. Now 18.

Cheapo

It all depends on your target and time limits.

If you're shooting an NRA/Army SR target, then you'd be doing great if your 20-round strings are 140 seconds long. That target has a 10-ring a bit bigger than 7 inches, and is designed for "ragged fire" or "sustained fire", depending on who's talking. The true course of fire using the SR target is 10 rounds in 70 seconds, starting from the standing position and going down to a sling-supported prone position when the targets go up. ONE mandatory reload--after 2 rounds if you're shooting a service rifle, or after 5 rounds if you're shooting a bolt gun (the '03 Springfields no longer "count" as service rifles. M1 really shouldn't either...)

If you're shooting slow fire, then to be considered "good," you'd need to be shooting the ISU/UIT or whatever those Europeans call it 300-meter target. That's closer to 330 yards. The 10-ring is some metric measurement closer to 3 inches or maybe even a bit less. That target was designed for 3-position slow fire, exactly like the Olympic (really ISU/UIT/whatever) 50-meter smallbore event, but understandably called centerfire instead of smallbore.

Hope that makes sense. This comes from a guy who gets chapped when he sees some gun rag writer's photos of "good" groups fired with a rifle at 100 yards on a 50-yard PISTOL target.

P-990

Slow-fire, against the NRA reduced target (600 yard target reduced for 300 yards). Compared to the other 5 shooters (all high-power competitors) I felt like I was doing very well.

Leafy

So if I'm understanding you correctly you are saying you are putting 18 out of 20 into 5.75" at 300 yds. slow prone with open 03A3 sights. I would say thats pretty good (even possibly amazing) as many, if not most, 1903A3s don't shoot .75" at 100 (2.25" at 300) from a heavy rest with optics. That only leaves you about 3" (at 300 yds.) of human error. Am I reading you correctly?

P-990

Not exactly putting. More like, I did it ONCE so far. Lots of patience and a batch of Lake City match ammo that the gun really, really likes. The 3" for my error sounds reasonable, considering that I can shoot better prone than from a bench and I can benchrest to about .75 MOA. I don't know what the 03A3 will do @ 100 yards. I suspect a HUGE amount of luck was involved here.

Tackleberry

Consistency is the name of the game.........

Keep up the great work!!!!!! Dad must be busting the buttons off his shirt!!!!

Or maybe planning some solo practice sessions;)

P-990

Dad is considering that he may have to bequeath(sp?) me the Springfield and the Garand. He doesn't seem to be able to shoot the '06's as well as I can. Strange, I almost got an '06 as a hunting rifle, but went .260 instead. Oh yeah, and shooting from prone in a sling is how I was TRAINED (or TAUGHT) to shoot. Smallbore the only thing that counted for me from prone was 9, 10 and X. (Of course, I never shot a smallbore match and I was never big enough to shoot any other positions.)

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
P-990, sounds to me like you're doing pretty good. Reckon your dad might as well just go on and put those '06s on your side of the rack. :)

(Grumble, mumble...Danged young-eyed squirts what can still focus on three things at the same time...Mumble, grumble, gritch...)

:D, Art

Steve Smith

If I understand that you are using the proper target, then you are doing quite well. Will you start shooting across the course now, or forever shoot at 300 yards in one position? (Get your azz in gear!) ;)

hps1

Smallbore shooting is _excellent_ training for highpower. It teaches all the basics and allows the shooter to _see_ his/her mistakes that would be masked by the recoil of a high power rifle. It also teaches the value of follow through, natural aim point, etc.

Very good shooting, P990. As Steve said, now you need to saddle up and start shooting across the coarse. Sounds as if you and the A3 make a good team.

Regards,
hps

Steve Smith

I am definitely considering the purchase of a Smallbore rifle for winter training. Living in the same town as the Olympic Training Center has its advantages.

P-990

I don't know if I will get a chance to fire across the course anytime soon. I don't think that my range is having any more high-power matches anytime soon. Usually they run three or four, but they were earlier this year. All of the other matches are across the state, and that is a long haul when you gotta register @ 8 am. (I live in NH BTW.) Besides, I leave for the Navy in August (the 23rd to be exact), so I have MANY other things to do before I leave.
Mr. Eatman, I wear "corrective lenses," so don't grumble too much.;)

Steve Smith

HA! You live in NH and all the matches are "across the state." Oh, the agony! What a pilgrimage! I understand why you never go...its SO far!

Here in Colorado (a large state, by comparison to NH) we have too full-course ranges. Each is at least 100 miles from me. I gladly drive to at least one if not both every month. Out matches start at 8, so you register earlier than that. You GOTTA shoot across the course, man!

BTW, there are some Delphi forums specifically for Maine and New England Highpower...you may find more ranges than you think just across some state lines.

P-990

Okay Mr. Smith, I will give that to you. But, if I may ask: How is driving across Colorado? I have been to AZ, and driving across state there is SOOO EASY! I mean, hit the highway and zip on over. Around here the main highways are like the backroads in AZ. Plus, there are very few east-west routes here (don't ask me why, they just built it that way).

Oh, and I HAVE fired across the course before, about 3-4 years ago, with an M-1 Garand. Still have a slightly smashed right thumb from learning how to load the thing!:rolleyes: But my results reflected the fact that I weighed 115 lbs (or so) and the gun was almost 1/10th of my body weight. (Won Junior at my first shoot, only because I was the only junior!!:D )

Take it easy fellas.

C.R.Sam

Ahhhh
Youth that pays attention.
A rare treat indeed.

Good shooting.

Learn the proper manual of arms for the M1 rifle and you will never again nail your thumb.

And as Mr. Eatman says....mumble grumble kids:)

Sam....not old, just high miles.

hps1

P990:
When you get through basic check things out to see if they have an AMU (Advanced Marksmanship Unit) where you are stationed.
Good opportunity to sharpen your marksmanship skills and not have to load your own ammo, too. :D Great duty!

Regards,
hps

Unkel Gilbey

Shooting Matches

P990,

You'll do some limited shooting while in Boot, or at least, the Navy used to. That is the time for you to shine as far as marksmanship is concerned. If you do well there, you can be identified as a potential shooting team member.

As a Marine, I have the typical amount of scorn for most Navy shooters, but I have been proven wrong on a few occasions, and with your posts, I see the potential for (Navy) greatness for you.

It's a rare rifleman who has learned to shoot PROPERLY from the outset. Usually what I see are lads who either shot at chipmunks with BB guns, the occasional hunter, or just a kid who watched way too many Rambo films! A lot of bad shooting habits were learned this way which I was then forced to try to correct, and usually ended up beating my head against the wall!

So you've got a head up on the competition, and as long as you remember the fundamental skills of marksmanship, and apply them, you can almost guarantee yourself a seat on a base team.

It's a lot of fun, and when it's done on the Govt. dime, it's even better!

BTW, I envy you your NE weather, I haven't been home to Vermont in over three years, and this Desert is really starting to get on my nerves. Good luck in Boot!

Unkel Gilbey

P-990

Unkel Gilbey,
I plan on doing well in any range firing I get while in the Navy. As for being on any shooting teams, maybe. But they have got to get me trained as a nuke first, which they tell me will take a little while. :rolleyes: BTW, I have been to AZ (and was born in OKC, OK) and I LOVE the SW. Hope to go back someday. Who knows, maybe I can convince any future Mrs. P-990's that the Dakotas or Montana or Idaho is a good place to live. Nothing against the East Coast, but I want to live near REAL mountains and see wide open spaces. OR maybe I should just vacation out "there."

PS: My best friend is now serving as a Marine armourer(sp?) at Camp Pendleton. I don't know if he knows I'm going to the Navy yet.

C.R.Sam,
I know the manual of arms for the M-1. Only took a few tries to learn it.:D If you must know, I was shooting single-shot the first time I smashed my thumb. I was 14. We figured that the round going into the chamber probably saved enough of my digit to allow me to finish the match that day.

Good night y'all.