300 XTP's for wounded hogs

rodwhaincamo

Keep reading and hearing how quality HPs and SPs for hunting seem to be fairly poor on hogs. Got a Taurus Tracker for this purpose, but found I can't use any stout ammo.:( That seems to keep me from using cast bullets as I do not handload, nor know of anyone that does. Seems all the companies loading cast bullets really sizzle out the barrel. Wondering what others who may know think about using Hornady's 300 XTP's since they have plenty of mass and aren't expensive. Average large hogs around here are 200-300 lbs. Most being 150-200 lbs. Figure coming across an angry wounded hog I may not have time to squeeze off more than a couple of rounds before it's on me, and so I want to put it down quick! Any suggestions?

azredhawk44

Yep.

Tracker's just the wrong gun for sizzler .44 loadings.

You might try something like this, from Georgia Arms:
http://georgia-arms.com/new44remmag240grleadsemi-wadcutter100pk.aspx

g44ma_med.jpg

Elmer Keith killed just about everything in North America with this bullet design.

Ask them for the Brinnell hardness rating of the bullets they use.

As an example, Mastercast bullets that handloaders often use are around 18. Beartooth, a premium gas-checked hard cast lead bullet, are around 21.

Cowboy game loads have a hardness around 10 or so. They splat on the popper targets rather than penetrate or ricochet wildly.

I think if you shoot a 300gr loading in a small gun like the tracker, you're more likely to have a bullet violently jump crimp. If you want to shoot the really nasty .44 loads that push the envelope to 454 realms, you need a Raging Bull, Blackhawk, Dan Wesson, Redhawk or other comparable heavy frame magnum handgun.

hardluk1

Try one of the barnes x bullet loads,Cor Bon and Federali think load them ,Solid copper that will expand. The corbon is a225gr at 1359fps DPX and can't remember federals so read up ,goes by different company name too .

CraigC

A good cast slug would be best but the 270gr Speer Gold Dot will work just fine. It's a tough, bonded-core, jacketed bullet that will expand little if any. It's a wonderful mid-weight penetrator.

treg

My experience with 300 gr XTP's in the .44 mag is that they are very accurate but on-game performance was disappointing. I highly recommend a 240 gr hard cast LSWC, even at medium velocities they've worked much better. Haven't used LBT style bullets yet myself but they seem to have a good reputation with those who have.

You've got a good gun. Find the right load or start reloading, your Tracker will be fine and you'll put meat on the table.

hardluk1

Hard cast well work well if you hit the shoulders. If a mid chest shot with hard cast a deer can run quite a ways but atleast you will have you heck of a blood trail. X bullets will destroy lots of meat and will leave a blood trail but may or may not go through with a 44 hand gun.Most heavy sp will also work well. Deer should travel much less with a desent shot with the x . If shoots are going to be at 40yards + you might think about a redot scope. Almost like cheating atleast out to around a 100 yards with a rest.