300 Wm

SHIVAN

300 WinMag

Can someone compare the recoil of a 300WinMag to the recoil of a 444marlin (240gr Rem loads) and 270win (130gr win loads)?

I am considering getting a PSS in 300WM and would like a baseline for what I can expect from the recoil........since I HATE recoil on the bench.......

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited:

ronin308

Most, if not all, of the .30 cal magnums are not that tough to shoot. If one uses proper positioning, the recoil will be much less than you would think. Mind you that this probably isn't a gun you want to put 200 rounds off the bench in one session though ;) I think the cumulative effect of successive shots and improper positioning makes the .30 cal magnums tough for most people. The recoil is unlike the .270 and unlike the .444. The .300WM is like a snappy and very firm push on your shoulder. The fact that you are getting a heavier rifle like a PSS should tame the recoil even more.

Shivan,

Would that be the Winchester Magnum or the Weatherby Magnum?

There's a noticable difference, at least to me, between the two.

Rob01

The 300WM 700PSS doesn't have that bad of recoil at all. When I got mine about a year ago I was expecting worse because I heard people like Omaha saying they beat you but after firing 190 and 220 grain loads I found it not that bad at all. Yes it's more than a .308 but not punishing. I can go out and shoot 60 rounds and not hurt at all. The stock has a thick, about an inch, recoil pad which helps alot. It's much thicker than the .308 700PSS pad which is like nonexistant. Recoil is different with everyone but I didn't feel it was bad at all. It's a heavy rifle which helps too.

SHIVAN

Rob01...

What rifles do you use on a regular basis?

The recoil doesn't really get to me while I shoot. (With the exception of a few hand loaded 150gr .270's I tried) I just hate feeling it the next day. Kinda like when I first started doing skeet...boy did I feel it the next day.

Thanks for the help so far......I corrected the post to state WinMag.

Ed

While we're on the .300 recoil subject----I'm a bit leery about going and sighting in my new baby----a Weatherby Ultralight in .300 Wby------the main thing I'm thinking about is getting a scope with a bit more eye-relief.

Or do I just suck it up and go with sand bags on the shoulder and a pair of safety googles for when the scope comes back?

I'm not too worried about it after i get it sighted in---carried a lot/shot a little----most hunting shots are hardly even noticed---just off the bench--I'm expecting the thing to be brutal.

Any other suggestions??

SHIVAN

Football shoulder pads?

Or maybe a life vest?

Seriously though, I used a PAST pad last weekend just as a test and it didn't upset my LOP or my weld, but it did noticeably cut the recoil on 4 consecutive (1.5 s interval) shots from the .270.

I liked it on the bench, never notice the recoil in the field.

Ed

ronin308

Omaha-BeenGlockin- I wouldn't use sandbags on the shoulder. I would just REALLYreallyreally pay attention to my form. Specifically, watch your cheek weld, make sure its firm and that your face isn't sweaty or the surface of the rifle slick at all. Also make sure that the buttplate will not slide in your shoulder. I've some guys get kebab eye from the buttplate slipping on their shoulders. I don't know what kind of scope you have on it but I'd throw at least a Leupold on it for two reasons: 1- More eye relief than cheaper scopes 2- To do that good lookin' rifle justice. And don't forget quality eye protection.

Rob01

Shiven, regularly I shoot my .308 with a McMillan HTG stock but also shoot an AR, Cetme, Mosin Nagants and a 45-70 Sharps. The recoil from the Nagants is worse than the 300WM 700P because they only have a steel butt pad. Actually I felt the recoil from my friend's 700P in .308 was worse than my 300WM because of the thin butt pad. You really shouldn't have much trouble with recoil and that rifle. I load up 220 HPBT loads that are traveling about 2700fps and it's not bad at all. Yes you can feel it but it won't make you cry ;)

Omaha, the Wetherby round will be a bit heavier recoiling and will feel even worse from a light rifle. Your eye relief should be about the same whether you are benched or shooting in the field so if you don't think it's enough you should get a different scope. But if you don't want to, just hold the rifle snug in your shoulder and get a recoil pad if you need one. Whenever I see someone who takes one in the eye it's because they are holding the rifle light and anticipateing recoil. Give it a good snug hold in your shoulder, know that you're going to feel the recoil so don't be suprised by it when it comes and squeeze the trigger. Don't pull it too hard into your shoulder because you'll get too much muscle tension and start to shake but firmly will work. Good luck.

By the way what do you mean by "sand bags on the shoulder "? On the back of the shoulder to hold you down? Or between the rifle and your shoulder? And it's always a good idea to use eye protection when shooting.

ghillieman

recoil recoil, hey guys dont cry like babies about recoil..... got a wife that will shoot any calibur any! if she can take it ( she doesn't even complain) than you guys can shut up and be a man. what have men turned into? whimps? just my two cents but you guys think about it recoil , recoil hope this jerks a few chains, yours truly ghillieman.................. p.s. if those of you got somthing thats to much for you hell send them to me!!!!!!!!!!