"300 Spartans" on tonight on AMC @ 7:45pm PST

jhisaac

Hey guys,
I just wanted to spread the word that "300 Spartans" will be on TV on AMC tonight at 7:45pm PST. This is the story of the battle at Thermopylae and was released in 1962. I don't know if it's any good but I'll find out.

jhisaac

PATH

I've seen the movie several times before. If you miss it it is worth renting. A great guy movie!

jhisaac

It was a good movie. I would give it two thumbs up. I can't comment on how realistic it was, but it was worth watching. (Don't have to rent it now, got it on tape.) It would be really interesting to see what a modern version would be like. (Anybody out there a film producer??)

jhisaac
Molon Labe

TexasVet

The acting is absolutely horrible. Richard Egan as Leonidas? The story is great but they left out MOLON LABE!

Seeker

Just finished watching it with my son (age 7) - first time I'd seen it. The wife didn't enjoy it much, but she didn't complain loudly ("blah blah blah....so much intensity before bedtime, so No you can't have any ice cream!").

We enjoyed it. The variety of defensive tactics used by the Spartans was very valubale to the boy. And the closing narration provided a chance for a brief but effective discussion of Responsibilities of Freedom and the realities of Tyrants, without the mention of firearms (thus avoiding my being shot with additional icy darts).

Mal H

Staff
Thanks for the heads up. I also watched it tonight.

It seemed to be fairly true to history, but it's impossible to say since the history of Thermopylae wasn't written down until much later. If, and this is a big if, Richard Egan, or more properly the screen writers, pronounced Molon Labe correctly, at least I now know how it sounded. And because he emphasized it, I have a feeling they had researched the pronunciation.

I don't remember the exact words, but the announcers words at the end of the movie were very appropriate for today. Something like, "This is what a few brave men can accomplish in the face of tyranny". If you have the tape, could you relate exactly what the sentence was?

Also, the host on AMC had a very compelling thought. If the Spartans had not fought so well at Thermopylae, it's possible that the Persians would have had many more victories and Western civilization would not exist as it does today. Thermopylae was compared to the importance of D-Day.

[added later]
TexasVet - You must have missed it, because they did include the scene where Xerxes messenger gave the ultimatum to lay down their arms and Leonidas responded "Molon Labe - let him come and take them."

TexasVet

Mal H, I must have just missed it. I was watching "The Devil's Disciple" about the American Revolution then turned over and caught the end. Figures. I always miss the good parts.

jhisaac

"It was a stirring example to free peoples throughout the world of what a few brave men can accomplish once they refuse to submit to tyranny"

jhisaac

urban assault

I saw it yet again, and while the acting wasnt very good I have to admire the sacrifice of King Leonidas and his brave warriors. I would really like to see the real story put on the big screen today, like the recent "Pearl Harbor".... without slimy Proto-Commies like Alec Baldwin and Ben Affleck of course.

Michael

citizen

Caught the last hour or so completely by accident. Hadn't seen it in maybe three decades; probably at the movie theater.
They did the "Molon Labe" scene between the second and final battle; also the "Go, tell...." statement. I was more impressed the first time. But it means more now. I'd go to see a remake.

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
Somewhere around here there's a thread about a modern film that's just entering the first stages--it hasn't even been cast yet as far as I know. I believe it focuses on one of the "slaves" who fought with the Spartans and the archer he served. Let me see if I can find the thread.

How about Clint Eastwood as Leonidas? No, seriously! He'll be about the right age to portray a king, he's got the look and build that I'd imagine any leader of Spartans would acquire, and he's actor enough to pull it off.
(OK, I just watched Unforgiven this morning. But it's still a great idea.)

BigG

Molon Labe...

Richard Egan did say "Molon Labe." They also showed the famous pillar at Thermopylae to mark their famous stand.

The Persian emissary spoke to King Leonidas and said. "Put down your weapons and surrender."
Leonidas replied, "Molon Labe. Come and get them."

Persian said, Our arrows will blot out the sun."

Leonidas replied, "Good. Then we will fight in the shade."

This movie has to become the official TFL film. Who's with me? Let's show our support by voting with one voice! Molon Labe!:cool:

Flotsam

I believe tha remake spoken about is a film adaptation of "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield (also wrote "The Legend of Bagger Vance"). It is a story of Thermopylae told from the viewpoint of a spartan Helot. Very good read, focuses on a lot of the spartan mindset, ideals of courage/selfless service, etc..

Sam

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
I haven't seen the movie. I will have to rent it.

Hopefully, the Gates of Fire adaptation will show the aftermath of Thermopylae when the Persians met the main Spartan and Greek army at Plataea. Instead of facing a phalanx of 300 red shields with a Lambda upon them the Persians found what it was to gaze upon 75,000 Spartans. They began to run almost before the battle was joined. They never stopped. I've read military historians who described Thermopylae as a Spartan defeat. It was not. The Spartans who died at Thermopylae won the battle of Plataea...and the war. Thermopylae-tactical defeat but strategic victory.

Thermopylae was only suppose to be a holding action while the various Greek City States debated amongst themselves strategy. The Spartans wanted all Greeks to withdraw to the Peloponnese and have the Athenian and other navies protect the flank. The Isumuth of Corinth would have served as the bottleneck against the larger Persian land forces. Athenian strategy called for protecting Attica and for all Greek land forces to deploy there. Eventually, the Greeks did withdraw and the Athenian navy (among other navies) defeated the Persians at Salamis. Deprived of their naval support (and thus the means to protect their supply ships), the main Persian army withdrew.

BigG

Incidentally, the pillar at Thermopylae has words to this effect. Stranger, when you find us lying here, go tell the Spartans we were obedient to their words. Attributed to King Leonidas.

Bonus Question: What were the Spartans' words that the 300 were obedient to?:D