.300 Savage for hogs

gmarr

I'll be going on a pig hunt soon with a bunch of my friends. Alot of calibers will be represented including a .44 AutoMag. I picked up a Savage M99 in .300Savage at an estate sale a few months ago. It shoots fantastic. This is what I'll be taking on the trip.

Question is what's a good load for the .300? Has to be factory as I don't reload. I'm looking at Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt. Any suggestions?

PawPaw

Those Remington Core-Lokt will do fine. Hogs aren't that hard to kill and a lot of they guys here use less cartridge than you're using. Shot placement is everything.

AllenJ

300 Savage/150 grain core-lokts are a great choice for hogs. Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your success.

idnative1948

The .300 has a distinctive "crack" to it. If my bro is around I know where he is at. Used to be dad's and has gone after yokes at long distance, deer not so long distance, elk way out there. Never let us down, but I have trouble shooting a lever, but bro doesn't and could jack more rounds through it that anybody could believe until he learned to shoot at a spot on an animal instead of at an animal.

Hunter Customs

I'll be going on a pig hunt soon with a bunch of my friends. Alot of calibers will be represented including a .44 AutoMag. I picked up a Savage M99 in .300Savage at an estate sale a few months ago. It shoots fantastic. This is what I'll be taking on the trip.

I can't give you any advice on hunting hogs as I've never had the chance to hunt any.

I can tell you this, the Savage 99 in 300 Savage is a sweet rifle/caliber combination.
I had one and sure took a lot of deer with it, I wish I had mine back.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Jack O'Conner

Out to a distance of approx 175 yards or so, the 300 Savage, .308, and 30-06 share same trajectory. But beyond this distance, the larger case capacity cartridges have a mathematical advantage.

The 150's you've chosen are famous for their one shot stopping power.

I took this wild hog with my Savage .308 at a distance of approx 75 yards or so. No problems.

Good hunting to you!

Jack

Wild_boar_plus_Savage.jpg

jmr40

+1 150gr. The .300 is real close to .30-06 ballistics.

A 300 Savage is more than adequate for your purposes, but is about 300-400 fps slower than a 30-06 with 150 gr bullets and about 150-200 fps slower than a 308 if you choose the best modern loads in each chambering.

It was an attempt to duplicate 1920's 30-06 loads, but came up pretty short even by 1920's standards.

Austinite

Great choice! If there's an advantage of the 300 savage, it's that penetration should be a tad deeper with the 150 grain core-locts than either a .308 or .30-06.

Plenty enough for piggies.

Keg

gmarr...I think that it would be pretty cool to get one with that old 99....I picked up an old 99 carbine in 30-30....I plan on shootin some hogs with it....

gmarr said: I'm looking at Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt. Any suggestions?
I agree with PawPaw 100%. But would add only one litt'l thing with a slight twist: You you know what causes those deadliest mushrooms in the woods? "Anything Remington makes!!" In your case gmarr 150s are indeed an excellent cartridges choice for your coming adventure. Be safe._:)