300 - Persian/Spartan clash

EJJR

I saw that the other night; pretty good. Its stylized to resemble 300, only more accurate with the details.

M14fan

Thoroughly enjoyed the History Channel version of the events. I have actually read several accounts of those events by different historians and the Persian army size ranges from 800,000 to 2.6 million depending on the historian. The original Greek presence ranges from 5200 to 8000. No matter the numbers, at some point there were in fact only 300 Spartans facing at least 10,000:1 odds. I saw the movie. Very entertaining. Not very historically accurate, but very entertaining.

As Persian casualties numbered at least 20,000 and maybe many times that at Thermopylae, imagine what when through the mind of Xerxes when he later faced an army whose front ranks consisted of 10,000 Spartans!!!:D :D :D

Haterade

I liked the history channel version since they stressed that it wasn't JUST the 300 Spartans. There were still about 1k Greek troops with them at the end.

One thing about the movie... it kind of irked me in the beginning how they talked about the phalanyx (sp) and how standing man to man without wavering made them so formidable... yet, after the first battle, most of it was man to man slashing and such... talk about a lack of 'supposed' military discipline. I'm sure it wasn't meant to stand up to historical critique but still... There were rhinos, elephants and gimps on the warpath...

They still tossed in the "come and get them" line, which was worth the price of admission. It was good on the IMAX screen... I think I was the only retard there nudging my GF saying "This is where he says Molon Labe" hahahah!

Bender711

That was the best movie I've seen in a long while. well worth the admission. The historical inaccuracies didn't bother me at all.

Doug.38PR

I love history! Always my favorite subject in school. :cool:

Tell me, what kind of guns did the Spartans and Persians use in the conflict?:eek:

rem33

Tell me, what kind of guns did the Spartans and Persians use in the conflict

As much as I hate to say this the Persians have guns now and unless things change, plans on using them soon.

It is a good flick.

Eghad

You mean the 300 Spartans and around 1000 Thespians in the final battle at Themopylae. The History channel show was good in reviewing the weapons, armor and tactics of the opponents. Not to mention the Athenian Navy and the storm that blocked the Persian fleet from flanking the Greeks at Thermopylae

After watching the Dark Ages I might have to find a replica of a francesca axe. That was a pretty awesome weapon.

M14fan

There were about 1000 others until near the end. The History Channel did point out that at some point the 1000 were moving away from the Spartans to fight the Persians at the rear so the final battle with the Spartans really was 300. Either way, it is an incredible story. Even if there had been 10,000 Spartans the most conservative estimates would still have been 80:1.

Too bad the Spartans didn't have M14s huh?

rem33

Has anyone thought how this one battle perhaps changed the way western man thinks to this very day?
My thoughts after watching the program on the History channel were the battle of Themopylae perhaps is the reason we are a democratic or republic society to this very day.
If the Persians had won the war and destroyed Greece what was to stop them conquering all of Europe?

It was only a while later that Alexander the Great did just that and for sure spread his thinking, influence, and type of government to the west.
If it had been the Persians no telling what society would be now. Might not be any different but then again. Just something to think about if your bored.

Gary H

I saw the movie without knowing what it was about until a minute into the film. From there on, it was pretty easy to predict how things would go in that it is 'based' upon historical facts as presented by Greek historians..story tellers. The enemy forces were but cartoon characters, but this highly stylized movie was a good one. It is interesting that at this time, someone had the good sense to send a message to this younger audience that freedom isn't free. I doubt that this was an unintended message. A must see in my book. Ohh .. my wife would see it again despite the non-stop violence. She is particularly partial to these particular Spartan warriors. I wonder why???

WeedWacker

Had that discussion with one of my room mates. He states that it's like a reverse chick flick. Guys go to CF's for the hot chicks, girls go to see the drama.

Guys went to 300 for the blood, gore and fight scenes, the girls went for the scantily clad spartan warriors. :rolleyes: :D

Eghad

Has anyone thought how this one battle perhaps changed the way western man thinks to this very day?

As the show said it united the Greeks and eventually led to Alexander the Great who spread the Greek influence over large areas. Our founding fathers were very familiar with the Greeks and used some of the ideas and arguments to bolster the idea of founding a Republic. I would say we owe Leonidas and the Greeks a debt of gratitude for planting the seeds. :eek:

Limeyfellow

My thoughts after watching the program on the History channel were the battle of Themopylae perhaps is the reason we are a democratic or republic society to this very day.
If the Persians had won the war and destroyed Greece what was to stop them conquering all of Europe?

Which in many ways is quite amusing since Sparta was a monarchy who did its best to bring down democracy in the Peloponnesian war that followed and ended up setting up a vile dictatorship of 30 people in Athens having ended the first experiments with democracy that it considered all that was wrong with the world.

BlueTrain

I am no doubt a throwback and incurable romantic, but I think that Europe was saved by two men. At one end of Europe it was Roland, palidin of Charlemagne, and at the other, Vlad Dracul. They were not contemporaries. But in case, it was a long time ago.