300 Blackout

4runnerman

I know nothing of this rifle other than what I found out today( Never bothered to check it out). My Boss at work has a chance to buy a never fired one for $800.00.
After looking at some stuff, I see it is a sub sonic load. A ( basically) 223 case with 17 gn powder. Now I am not into this stuff, but my question is.
Why would anyone want something like this other than a novelty item?. All I had chance at work to look at was.
223 case, 17 gns powder and a 220 gn bullet( im sure there are other loads).
To me that is a-,,, 100 yard rifle if even that. It seems like a waste of time and money. So- Im asking-What and why would one buy one?. What would you use it for and what is the range on these things. What is the selling point other then to have one. At this point in time ( not knowing anything) I told him I would not even waste my money on it.

Sharkbite

300 blk is NOT just a subsonic round. It has supersonic loads as well. Think of it as a 7.62x39 round, fired out of a standard AR (same mags, same bolt, same everything except barrel) that ALSO will shoot subsonic loads without changing anything.

I shoot ALOT of blackout (im at just under 5000 rounds this year). Most of it supersonic suppressed, but maybe 10% of that subsonic.

With supersonic ammo, my 9" SBR will ring a 8" plate at 325 using a micro dot sight every shot. Thats all i can ask of a MP5 sized gun

4runnerman

Sharkbite- So this could be a so say hunting rifle and target rifle?. I was not aware of its versatility. All I had the chance to read was it is a subsonic round.
They went on to say it shines with a 220 gn bullet. I just thought with 220 gn bullet and 17 gn powder, well you know..

Sharkbite

As a hunting round its the same as a 30-30. Whitetail, pigs, stuff like that. I think its too light for Elk or even some of the bigger deer.

As a Defensive round it does eveything a x39 round will

Add in that it does that with the ergos of an AR platform AND has the abilitty to shoot subs with a can very quietly and its a pretty cool package

Bullets range from 78gns (2800fps) up to about 245gns (1000fps) and the versatility is apparent.

The other big selling point is ANY 223 AR can be transformed into a 300blkout with a simple barrel change. ALL the other parts are the same.

I like mine:D

TMD

17 grains of any usable powder with a 220 grain bullet is going to be supersonic. Most usable powders like A1680, RE7, and 4227 all use about 11 or so grains for subsonic. All that aside I love all three of my 300bo's.

skizzums

I am a big fan of the .300. I really enjoy my BLK pistol. keep in mind, I do not ever recommend this caliber unless you are a reloader. too expensive if you actually want to use it a lot.

it is a great home defense pistol, the bullets use magnum pistol powders(fast burn), so it works ideal out of short barrel, which usually are better used in an HD role than a 16" ar15. the fast pistol powders is what makes it so efficient from short barrels. ballistically "similar" to 7.62x39, but bullet choices are fantastic and I don't really think a 30-30 or x39 does as well from a 7-10" barrel as the 300blk does.

the 300blk is made for suppression, probably the single best option for a short barreled suppressed semi-auto rifle caliber. easily switches from super-sonic to sub-sonic with simple bullet change, no other modification need to switch from supers to subs. sure, you can suppress a .223 pistol and shoot sub-sonic ammo and get similar performance to a .22long rifle, or you can shoot 220gr bullets at 1050 FPS and get 44mag performance.....quietly.

it has advantages, but I wouldn't ever personally use it for hunting, just my opinion. there are much better shooters out there for less that do much better at 100-200 yards. but I think the 300BLK takes the cake on home-defense and short range stuff. I rarely shoot mine past 50 yards, and do 90% of shooting at 25 yards, because it is what it is, I made it for home defense.

the cost of ammo is high, I feel that any shooter that does NOT reload would be better served with an AR10, especially if hunting is on the agenda, unless he wants a suppressed rifle and has the money to burn.

the 300BLK is FUN for a reloader and is extremely versatile. not to mention cheap to make ammo. take standard magnum powders, reformed .223 brass and whatever 30cal bullet you wanna stick in it. AND...I originally started looking into it, because it's one of the few semi-auto rifles to be very accepting to cast lead bullets, and costs no more than building a standard .223

left to right. 90gr Lapua, 110gr barnes, 125gr VMAX, 150gr Hot-Cor, 175gr AMAX, 220gr Sierra, 230gr Lee cast and powder coat. these are bullets from 2400FPS to 1000FPS, all from an 8" barrel and all reliable with no adjustments.

and......THEY'RE COOL!!! look how tactical I am......

mxsailor803

I have personally used the .300BO for hunting. Mainly for hogs. Now I'm not using it to take a 300yd shot. Mine has simple irons and I might take a 100yd shot where I'm usually hunting. I mainly wanted it for throwing a bigger bullet for hogs. No its not the end all of cartridges. I just label it as a 30-30 performance with a 20 round mag capacity.

Sharkbite

If your current AR is using a carbine or longer gas system, you should seriously consider using a pistol length system on a Blackout regardless of barrel length. The cartridge is not over gassed like a 223/556 AR can be.

A pistol length gas system make the gun run best

Mobuck

Both of my BlackOuts have carbine gas systems and work fine with sub(suppressed) or super(both ways).

4runnerman

So I know I will be Hand Loading for him. What are some of your favorite loads both in sub and super?. I will do the normal load work up as always, but I would have a good starting point any how.

Sharkbite

Both of my BlackOuts have carbine gas systems and work fine with sub(suppressed) or super(both ways).

Some guys get lucky. Most carbine length gassed guns will not run 100% in all 4 modes without tweeking the gas port size. Im glad yours works, but i would recommend all new blk owners get a pistol length system and ensure it works from the start

Elkins45

I haven't seen any problems with supersonic with either a carbine or pistol length system. With subs the pistol length becomes more important.

TMD

The biggest factors with a pistol length gas system is it opens up more powder choices for loading subs. With a carbine gas system about the only powder to function reliably with subs is A1680.

Vividia

I was interested in 300 blk, and ran across some nicely priced White River Arms 16" uppers at a gun show her last fall, I think it was. Bought one on a whim. Had enough lower parts in the parts bin to throw it together.

Has a standard carbine buffer and spring carbine gas system, nothing fancy other than I put a Gerissele trigger in it.

I ran this through it recently when I finally got it to the range:

110gn Hornady vmax
125 gn PNW nosler ballistic tip BT
147 gn PNW FMJBT
220 gn Rem open tip match

Ran them both suppressed with a Saker 7.62 and unsuppressed.

I had zero problems, not a single FTF, FTE or anything like it. Bolt locked back after last round.

Probably I just got lucky, but my impression is that the folks at White River Armory did a lot of testing to get the balance of gas system right. The size of the gas port does matter with this round. Work with a manufacturer who has experience with the round and who does testing rather than one who simply builds from parts.

I love the versatility of the round, and that I can use parts I already keep around, though I did put red tape and ranger plates on the mags I dedicated for 300 blk to keep from mixing them up with 556/223. When people go shooting with me, I don't want mistakes in case I am not the one loading the rifle.

HankC1

Some guys get lucky. Most carbine length gassed guns will not run 100% in all 4 modes without tweeking the gas port size. Im glad yours works, but i would recommend all new blk owners get a pistol length system and ensure it works from the start
Carbine length gas ports typically are 0.125" already which is the size of the gas tube ID, what tweak you refer to? Pistol length typically has smaller gas port. Gas system, port size and barrel length go together in semi autos. I believe the general rule for 300 BLK is 16"+ barrels go with carbine length. Use heavy bullet if really want to go sub-sonic.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=73274

Q: Well then - for a 16 inch barrel, why would someone chose one type of gas vs the other?
A: If you are the type of person who prefers mid-length gas on a 5.56mm because it has less gas port erosion and less stress on the bolt and extractor, then choose carbine gas. If you want to experiment with extra fast-burning powders and are willing to either not shoot full power ammo or have an adjustable gas block - then use pistol. Remington subsonic ammo generates enough gas pressure to be compatible with carbine gas in a 16 inch barrel.

Last edited:
Think of the 300 Black out as a M1 carbine on super steroids.

It will do every thing you would want a carbine to do. But thats just the beginning. Load it with some heavier bullets and you have a very serviceable short to mid range hunting round. Hogs and deer seem to be the main choices.

But thats not ALL!! The 300 can also do subsonic loads.

As if thats not all... If your into reloading. You just hit the money load.
Any 30 cal bullet of the literally hundreds of choices can be made to work in the 300 Black.
Brass can be made from range pick up 223 brass. So there is just about a never ending free supply.

Also if your interested in shooting cast bullets from a rifle.
The 300 Black out is as close to a no brainer as your gona find.
Just about any fast rifle powder will give 90% plus case fill.
You would have to work real hard to screw it up. And as a bonus not found with most rifle loads.
The same powder you use to load cast bullets is also the same powder you use for jacketed loads.

Granted it is not a 308 win. But used in its rather super wide nitch. It fills nicely. If you need more range. Break out a AR10.
Thats what I do.

100_9723_zpswtq921vr.jpg

A pistol length gas system make the gun run best

This quote maybe true. Certainly a shorter gas port would help.
Luckily for me every load I want to use runs fine from my Carbine gas port.
I dont do subs. Suppressors are illegal here. That may change, they say there maybe enough votes to over ride the Governors veto. If true, I am in!! Will fill out the paper work on day two.

Last edited: