300 Blackout... tough to reload ???

this cartridge doesn't really interest me, as I'm not a huge AR fan or collector... but just was looking at a pic of the cartridge... with almost no shoulder, does this seat on the mouth, or the shoulder ???

heard people complaining about the small shoulder on the 35 Remington before, yet the shoulder looks to have 2 or 3 times the meat on it, than the 300 Blackout...

so I was curious who's loading it, & just how tough it is to reload ???

Whisper 300

I have reloaded hundreds upon hundreds in 300 Whisper(aka 300 BLKT) and it
doesn't get any easier than this caliber.
plenty of neck-at least for me since I load single shot bolt and only shoot subsonic thru a suppressor.
able to get plenty of neck tension to hold the big ol' 240 gr Sierra's.

you should try it, you might enjoy it, esp. suppressed!

Gary

rg1

Fun and easy to load the 300 Blackout. Only thing is that if you reform .223 Rem brass you have to cut the neck and shoulder from the .223 case. Forms and sizes in one step. Neat thing is you can shoot almost all 30 caliber bullets in the Blackout. 110 grain 30 cal bullets up to 2375 fps, my 147 gr. M-80 pulled surplus bullets get nearly 2000 fps and all this from a 16" barrel. Uses smaller charges of pistol powder such as H110-Win 296 or Lil-Gun for supersonic loads. Lots of shooters load subsonic and use suppressors. Fun and reliable AR conversions.

LarryFlew

As mentioned it is an easy reload and a heck of an awesome cartridge. I don't do subsonic and my AR likes 125gn the best but your mileage may vary. So many choices of bullets out there in 30 caliber.

twp5253

300 easy to reload

This was my first rifle round to reload after not doing any reloading for 20+ years. I used to reload 38/.357 and 9mm. It may have helped that my brass had all been created for me from once fired LC brass. My first rounds of 300 Blackout were perfect and I then loaded up hundreds more and so far, knock on wood, not a single problem. No failures to feed, no jams and very good accuracy with 125gr Sierra MK HPBT rounds and 18gr of H110.

My recent foray into .223 and .308 have not gone so smoothly but I am getting it figured out. I had to get a RockCrusher II for the .308 because the once fired LC brass needed some significant force to resize. I tried three different lubes and I still have not settled into a final routine. Having case gauges for all three is a must IMHO.

oldpapps

twp5253,

May I ask, are you cutting your brass before forming? I do.

I had no problems with forming and find little added pressure needed to do so.

I have found conversion and loading very easy and with good results. If anything over all length/changes in internal case volume is the biggest challenge. But that wasn't much of a problem and once length is determined, results are very consistent and pleasing.

I don't do 'subs'. I also don't push any loads. Maybe that's why I got over 25 re-loads out of re-cycled .223 brass :)

Load with care and enjoy,

OSOK

Re-read 5253's statement. OK, I understand now. Yes, I too have found 7.62 brass tuff to deal with. Punch out the crimped in primer first, pull the expanding ball, clean and lube the brass well. This smooths the operation some what. Full autos are loose for a reason and uncle doesn't worry with reloading. That's why we can buy that brass.

Take care,

OSOK

Last edited:

Roughedge

I just finished loading a 100 for coyote hunting. New Remington brass with 17grs of Lilgun under a 125gr hornandy ballistic tip bullet.

Super easy to reload and just about any load you make will shoot well.
I load them on my single stage, I load them on my Turret and when I need to put the hammer down. I load them on my progressive.

300 Black out has turned into favorite rifle load.:)