300 Blackout, impressed!

chris in va

I have a CZ carbine in x39. It's wonderful and I get a ton of enjoyment out of it. I cast my own bullets to cut costs and save wear and tear on my steel targets.

That being said, finding brass x39 cases can be frustrating. A guy next to me was shooting his 300 AAC AR and he makes his own cases by cutting down 223's.

A light switched on in my head and it occurred to me this cartridge will has a ton of potential for reloaders and 'preppers' for those that aspire to that lifestyle. Fabricate your own ammo using ubiquitous cases, use subsonic 220's or hot rod them with 110's. Don't worry about losing a case, make some more! Bolt guns and semiauto's rejoice!

This may very well be America's medium power caliber we have been longing for.

Now I wish my CZ was in 300.:cool:

FrankenMauser

Think of it as .30 Carbine with just a little more juice ... in an AR.

I, personally, would rather have 7.62x39mm, .30 RAR, or .30-30 Win, from a performance perspective.
And, from the perspective of a reloader that has four (five?) wildcats and has dealt with more cartridges that require case forming or frequent trimming, reaming, or turning than I'd like to admit, I'd rather have 7.62x39mm, .30-30 Win, or .30 RAR.

If you're not going to suppress it, .300 Blk is a waste of time. ...In my opinion.

And, even though case forming sounds easy, it is time consuming and not quite as "plug and play" as most people make it sound. For example, some brands of brass will not work as .300 Blk without reaming and/or outside neck turning after being formed. And that neck and shoulder that need to be trimmed off? You won't be doing that with a case trimmer.

979Texas

I have a .300 blackout and am very impressed by it and I have never shot subsonically and have no plans to anytime soon. I'm bad about judging calibers by ballistics, but this is a caliber that is hard to judge by its pretty minimal ballistics because I have had tremendous results in the field with it.

Elkins45

I love it. I cast my own bullets and the 300 is a great way to shoot cast in the AR platform. I can shoot it for about the cost of 22LR these days.

Mobuck

My somewhat limited 300AAC experience started when I wanted to assemble an AR upper and the only barrel I could find was in that caliber. The only shooting I've done with it is paper and exploding a bunch of excess gourds from the garden but it does those things well. I expect to harvest a deer or two in 2015 just to see how it works for that use. I was not able to field it in 2014 due to time factor and a Grandson who had an unfilled deer tag.
My intent is to use a real game bullet for deer and no factory loads were available and I didn't have time to work up a load with a suitable bullet.

psalm7

I have a .300 BO in the SPS Rem 700 and like it I know its limitations and for me I use mid weight bullets and its for close to mid distance precision . I like the Siearra 150 gr spitzer bt's . I don,t need sub sonics but may try the 200 plus grain bullets for groups . I know a couple of shooters that like the 110 gr's at max loads for varmit type loads but I have other rifles for such . As for brass I have been buying the Remington 120 grain loads that seem to be easy to find and shooting them and saving the brass . Compared to my Win Mag this little rifle is a break from the blast and recoil .

Keg

I recently purchased a S&W M&P 15 in 300 BO....I wanted an AR platform for the wife..but was not sure about a 308.... This fits the bill nicely.....