.300 AAC Blackout Bullet - Lapua 220gr

markr6754

I'm not anticipating a big response here, but thought I'd share my latest purchase.

I just received an order of Lapua 220gr HPBT .308 SCENAR-L bullets and I am amazed at the quality of these rounds....which were the cheapest .308 bullets I could find. Delivered price is $0.28 each, including freight and NRA Round Up Contribution. I'm beginning to regret not ordering more.

Just for kicks I decided to weigh a few samples. Previous handgun bullets showed deviations from the stated weight, although all remained within SAAMI specs.

These bullets...222.0 gr. I weighed 5 random bullets, and everyone settled in on my digital scale to 220.0 gr. How is that even possible?

Anyway, kudos to Lapua for making this round, and Graf & Sons for shipping so quickly. I hope I get the other components I need for Christmas.

Hoping to hear from others that may have experience with this bullet. Obviously, I'm planning to load Subsonics (unsuppressed, as I don't have a suppressor). 8.5" .300 Blackout Pistol, so proper cycling not expected to be an issue.

Attachments

• Lapua 220gr HPBT.jpg
    Lapua 220gr HPBT.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 19

Sharkbite

I dont have any experience with that bullet, but ive been heqvy into the 300blk for years. I run a AAC 9” SBR and a Rem 700.

Im not sure why people run subsonics UNsuppressed. If you are going to deal with noise and earpro, why not shoot supers and get rifle ballistics

markr6754

I dont have any experience with that bullet, but ive been heqvy into the 300blk for years. I run a AAC 9” SBR and a Rem 700.

Im not sure why people run subsonics UNsuppressed. If you are going to deal with noise and earpro, why not shoot supers and get rifle ballistics
I wish I had an answer for you about other people. As for me, I’ve had an AR for 2 months (barely). I haven’t shot any Subsonics as yet, and I haven’t had anywhere near enough time to have acquired a suppressor. But more to the point...this is an awesome bullet...AND it cost me less than any super bullet I’ve found. It wouldn’t matter to me if I couldn’t load these bullets for 2 or 3 years, but it only takes 11.5 - 12 gr of 1680 to load these to super.
Maybe I’ll just hold onto them and wait for the market to tighten, then offer them on EBay for 50 cents apiece.

Mobuck

"Maybe I’ll just hold onto them and wait for the market to tighten, then offer them on EBay for 50 cents apiece."
Not w/o violating their policies.
I've loaded some 208 A-Max blems and have shot some 220 grain factory loads but my barrels perform better with 190-195 grain bullets.

"but it only takes 11.5 - 12 gr of 1680 to load these to super."
Barely and the velocity will drop below super quickly which may be a problem with a "barely stabilized" bullet's accuracy.