30 round mags for pistols

Mikeyboy

I have been thumbing thru a Cabela's catalog and noticed that a few pistols (my Taurus PT92 included) have after market magazines from Triple K that have a 30 round capacity. Are these any good or are they more prone to jamming. I only have 2, 17 round factory mags, and its a real pain to keep reloading the empty mags while at the range. Factory mags are almost double of these aftermarkets, and the 30 round capacity seems good for the range and in a SHTF situation.

azredhawk44

That depends...

Do you want to train yourself to shoot your handgun the way it will be:
1. In your nightstand, loaded with a 17rd mag?
2. In your holster, loaded with a 17rd mag?
3. At the range, with a 30rd stick hanging 8" out the bottom of it?

I have a 10rd mag for my 1911 that I bought as a toy that sticks out about an inch or so below the grip.

I never use it, because it changes how the gun feels. The weight is different, it feels different in the holster, I just don't care for it.

YMMV.

Mikeyboy

Duhh...weight difference...good point, because the Taurus/Beretta 92s are big SOB as it is. Ahh I guess I'll get another factory clip or 2 and get a 30 rounder for "Fun"

CelticMP

PT92 and the 30rd mag

i bought one when i owned a PT92 and it was a malfunctioning POC. I used it 3 or 4 times playing with it and put it on the shelf and when i sold the gun i threw it for good measure. I was not pleased with the performance, i got alot of FTF and "nose dived" rounds in the mag were the main cause. never had that problem with my 10 or 15 round mags just the 30. thats my experience with them, just thought i'd share.:D

MADISON

30 round handgun mags?

Handguns/rifles go back to 1959.
Who makes the magazines???
In the 60's gun shows sold 15 round 45 ACP for 1911s. They would not feed the last round. I have a magazine selling Glock products that sell 25 to 33 roound magazines, depending on the caliber. Becaue they are Glock made I assume the work.

Eric Larsen

Beware of the Cheap very hi cap mags........25-40 rnds are typical. They are mostly crap. Ive had 1 that worked out of the last 10 Ive tried. My buddies XD mag did work like it should have but we replaced the follower/spring in it.

Glock mags will work as they are made for/by Glock. Much better quality control than most of the others. But you pay for them also.........

Shoot well.

tulsamal

I've got one of the Glock 33 round magazines for the G17/19. My usual "house gun" is a six inch Security Six in .357 Magnum. But I keep a SAR-2 with a removed 30 round mag plus the Glock 17 "nearby." The G17 has a 19 round magazine with regular old HP's in it. I would grab that gun, insert mag, chamber round, and then snatch up the loaded 33 mag as I moved out. The 33 round mag is loaded with nothing but FMJ. I figured that if I went through all 19 rounds of the HP's and I STILL need more firepower, the bad guys must be cheating and hiding behind their cars or something. So the big stick mag is to try to smoke them out while my wife moves around with the AK!

Gregg