30 round AR-15 Mag question???

Johnc

Can any one tell me if those are production dates on the side of the 30 round magazines? Also, I have seen them used in surplus marked "military and law enforcement use only". What is the deal with these for civilian use?

ohen cepel

Not sure about the dates that you mentioned.

In most states the LEO/Military stamp issue went away with the ban. However, if the ban gets put back into place I don't know what will be the deal with those mags.

They all work fine though:D

FS2K

Not all USGI magazines have the date stamp you mentioned John.

My La Belle mfg magazines don't have them, although they do appear to me date stamps. The newest lot of USGI magazines I bought have 9/05 marked on them. Heckler and Koch datemark their magazines so I don't see why these aren't marked the same way.

The whole "Law Enforcement/Military Use" thing doesn't matter anymore. You can use/own these magazines as long as your state allows it.

armedtotheteeth

WOW!, I was about 3 minutes from asking this same exact question, I may have on another post. LAW enf/ Military use can be removed with a bit of scuffing, or sandpaper. I though about it. aint worried about it

wolfdog45

My brother was at a guy's house working for him and the guy pulled out a Colt AR15 that said "military and law
enforcement use only". Along with 4 magazines that say the same thing.
The guy was telling him how he had gotten it and that he will sell it to my brother for
$3500. And this a deal of a lifetime. (the guy lives in TN and you can have this type of rifle and high capacity magazines in TN.)
My brother tells me about it and I try to explain to my brother why the rifle had the markings and that I can find him a Brand new Colt AR with the same marking's a lot cheaper.
My brothers co-worker wasn't so lucky he went back after he got his check and bought the rifle from the guy.
And showed up at my brothers showing it off and went to shoot it and found out that the front sight was gone and the back sight was bent. And 2 of the magazines had huge dents in them bigg enough to make them jam.
He ended up having to buy new sights and he still hasn't shot it and he bought it almost a year ago.

newerguy

NYS still has its version of the assault weapons ban on the books (See Article 265 of the Penal Law). This law includes large capacity ammunition feeding devices (magazines holding more than 10 rounds) made after the effective date of the federal AWB. A magazine marked "For Law Enforcement Use Only" may be illegal under NYS law, if it was made after the federal assault weapons ban took effect (Sept. 1994).

I bet the numbers on you magazine are date stamps, but I don't know.

Those magazines are probably legal in most states, but probably not NY.

Sycofrogg

I ordered three 13 round mags for my H&k USP .40. All of them had the restricted thing on em. These were bought post ban and through a legal dealer. So if your state dosen't have any magazine capacity laws, I don't see why they wouldn't be legal.

MisterPX

Most often, the mfg date will be stamped in the side of the mag. Labelles don't have teh date stamp, as they weren't making mags during the AWB. SOme mags have a CAGE number. Easiest way to tell is by appearance XX/XX, or XX-XX is a date. YXXYX would be a CAGE.