.30 Herrett

I just got a Contender barrel in .30 Herrett, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it in the field. I just posted on the Reloading forum about loads, I'm posting here to find out how it performs on game. What can be taken with it? is it better than my .44 barrel? Thanks for your time.

Ankeny

I have used a 30 Herrett quite a bit. I live in Wyoming and it is legal for all big game as are all calibers of .23 bore diameter and overall length of 2" or more. I have taken two antelope, three mule deer and one elk with the Herrett. The longest shot was on a deer at a little over 150 yards.

I used the 130 grain Hornady SSP with 25.0 grains of Win 680. The Hornady SSP was designed for pistol velocities and is very frangible. The load performed very well on all of the game I have taken, but tends to expand a lot. The ranges were short and penetration was good. On the elk the bullet hit a rib on both sides and left a rather large exit hole.

Contender

Ankeny, I just started loading for the 30-30 Ackley in a 14" Contender barrel. Do you have an idea what velocities your running out of your Herrett with the 130 SSSP Hornady? I'm looking to load this bullet and a Speer 150 gr. Mag-Tip. Talked with Speer and they rate the Mag-Tip to expand down to 1800 FPS.

Thanks

JD

The 30 Herret is great cartridge, much better than the .44 at longer ranges 50 yds +,as for bullet wgt and powder, Ankeny is right.

ga41

Shooting times had a great article about 15-20 yrs ago on the 30 and 35 herretts.IF you like I can probably dig it up.ga41