30 cal Nosler Ballistic tips

Red_Eagle

I have some of these in 125 & 150gr. Has anyone ever used these on game? If so, what was the results? 150 gr will be loaded to about 2,800 f/ps and the 125gr will be loaded to about 3,000 f/ps in a 22'' barreled 308 win.

Shoney

Depends on whether or not your bullets are varmint or hunting BT’s. If they are hunting, they were designed for taking game at long range. If you shoot game at/under 150 yards, then you will get lots of meat destruction. I would recommend the Nosler Accubond 150, although a 165 would be better.

boltgun71

I've used the 150gr Ballistic Tips for hunting and they have worked terrific. Very accurate and one shot, drop in there track kills. I load them for my .300 Win Mag, I dont have a chronograph yet for the velocioty, but they shoot 5 shot 3/4" groups at 100yds for me. I've taken two NY whitetail bucks with them, one a quartering shot through the shoulder at 160yds, the other a straight on neck shot at 110yds. The quartering shot took out both lungs, one shoulder blade, and a few ribs on its way out. The wound channel was fairly large with a few small fragments of the jacket and ballistic tip found along the way. The neck shot went straight through the front of the throat, hit dead center in its spine below the skull and completely removed a 2" section of spine, the exit hole was treamendous. I have also taken a coyote at 260yds with the same load and it completely emptied its internals out on the groud. Woodchucks sometimes do impressive things when it by the ballistic tips as well.

Shoney

boltgun71 a 300WinMag usually pushes a 150 gr bullet at around 3200 fps, but can be as high as 3450 fps with the right handload. If you check the Nosler website, they stress that the max velocity for the 150 BT Hunting bullet is only 3000 fps. They are not designed for what you are using them for , and the results you write about demonstrate that point.

Yes, they will kill game very dead, but the wound channels and subsequent shock damage are tremendous. Your load may be appropriate for antelope at 400-500 yards, but it is certainly "overkill" for game under 200-250 yards. I have seen people shoot elk with these bullets, and IF we recovered those animals, the bullets were fragmented with erratic performance.

I would strongly urge you to go with the bonded, as it will perform much better, is little different in cost, and is as accurate.

Of course if you either like to throw away lots of meat, or if you prefer to pick copper and lead fragments out of the meat you do save??? Have at it.

boltgun71

I do plan on trying the 150gr Accubond's just haven't got around to it yet. I have some of the 200gr Accubonds, they just haven't shot as well as the 150's yet but I haven't tinkered with them much either. As for the velocity, the load I fire is just over minimum according to my 47th Edition Lyman book, I'm using 58.5gr of IMR-4895, with the suggested minimum load only being 58.0grs. It lists the velocity as 2,808 with 58.0gr and 3,115 with the max load of 65.0gr which I'm no where near. I'm guessing I'm somewhere around 2,900fps, which I know is only a guess but I doubt I'm over the 3,000fps they recommend as the max impact velocity. I appreciatte the advice and recommendation though, I will try the lighter Accubonds.

Shoney

boltgun71: I may be wrong here, but it would appear that you are using H4895 data with IMR 4895 powder. My data indicates

150gr__ H 4895___ 57.0gr_ 2991fps____ 61.0gr__ 3124fps
150gr__IMR 4895__ 61.0gr_ 2980fps____ 65.5gr__ 3196fps

Aside from that, the BT's are thinner walled than Accubond, and do give more rapid expansion. My 300WinMag is used almost exclusively for Elk and trophy size Muley, using a 200gr Nosler Partition. Extreemly accurate to 600 yrd. At under 200 yards, the partition destroys a lot of meat, because the front opens rapidly, while the weight retention of the rear gives penetration, but at 300-450 yards, expansion is ideal. Where I hunt, if you cannot shoot accurately to 400 yards, you may not get a shot.

Hawg

I don't use Noslers but I do use Hornady 165 gr. BT's running around 2,990 fps out of a 26 inch 30-06. On close shots you get a small entrance hole and a smaller exit hole with tremendous internal damage. I shot a doe at 40 yds. once and it completely destroyed the heart and lungs. On long shots you do get a large exit hole but you don't have to worry about tracking unless you make a terrible shot. Where they are when you hit them is where they'll be.

schmellba99

I use 95gr Ballistic Silvertips in my .243 and have had wonderful results in ranges out to 200 yards on white tail. One of my buddies uses the 130gr Ballistic Silvertip in his .270 and I've seen him drop a white tail at over 400 yards without the deer ever taking a step after being hit.

They are a wonderful round if you use them for their intended purpose.