30-40 Kreg Christmas Present

kraigwy

Been looking for a "good" Kreg for a long time, but I don't want junk, I don't want modified, I don't want a cut down rifle.

Well today I found the best, nicest 1898 Kreg 30-40 Rifle I've ever seen. NO modifications, not drilled and tapped, no buggered screws, Old but 100% original.

Problem was (I thought), its not for sale, GS owner had it in the back and was showing my wife what to look for in a Kreg. Said he wouldn't sell it, wouldn't put a price on it. I didn't care about the price, I wanted the gun.........NOPE. Its not for sale.

I've never seen a nicer Kreg.

So I go away pouting, later to find out wifey went back in and talked the guy out of the rifle..........BUT.......its gonna be a Christmas Present.

Hate to see what she paid for it......I bet I would have had to pay more.

So come Christmas I'll post pictures. Now to gather up some reloading gear for a 30-40.

Winchester_73

Congratulations. I feel the same way about Krags. I had one cut down sporter and I sold it. Luckily a friend of mine, another collector, who I often buy from just got an all original Krag carbine for only $400. I didn't see it yet, but he said its correct (I will have to verify). I guess I will get to see how much he likes me when he prices it to me. I think he will be fair though, because he usually is. You must have a nice wife btw, lucky you. My wife supported my gun "hobby" before she came to the conclusion that I was addicted and that I had a disease. Now she probably wants me to check into the Betty Ford Gun center.

I must say though: I notice you spell "Craig" as "Kraig" and you also spell "Krag" as in Krag-Jorgensen as "Kreg". At least you're consistent I guess :p

bedbugbilly

Congrats on your Christmas present!

Not only did you get the rifle you dreamed of . . .. you learned a vlauable lesson! Let your wife negotiate for you from now on!

Sounds like a very special lady! Enjoy your Krag!

whiskyrunner

i dont know what she paid for it, and its none of my business, but i own an 1898 U.S. Springfield armory 1898, in 30/40 krag, s.n. 401016 it has the coolest magazine system ive ever seen! it also has a proofmark on it sla(?)1902 and some type of P in a circle right behind the triggergaurd, got it from a pawnshop for $200, let me know where you find ammo for it, i cant find any!! and the box of remington kleenbore ammo i got with mine im not sure i should shoot

kraigwy

I reload, but when ordering 30-40 brass I found Midway had loaded 30-40 ammo.

Other then that I don't know, but I'm sure its around.

You should be able to find .30-40 Krag ammo at most on-line ammo retailers, and larger sporting good stores. Many, many Krags still go to the deer stands every Fall.

cornbush is right about fireforming .303 British cases for use in the Krag. I have dozens of them that I've used. Only difference is that the neck is slightly shorter than the original Krag cartridge. DO NOT, however, attempt to shoot .303 British cartridges in your Krag rifle. They are loaded to a higher pressure than the Krag, and the bullets are .310-.312 instead of .308! :eek: Get some once-fired (or unfired) .303 brass and run them through a .30-40 sizing die.

kilimanjaro

Of all the early magazine rifles adopted by any nation, the US Krag is a standout. Design, action, and manufacture make it one of the best. I know there were better cartridges, and better loading, but I still rate it high as an iconic collector piece to be proud of.

kraigwy

I'm gonna get a British Enfield in a couple weeks. I do not want any 30-40 loads that say 303.

Same with my 270 I wont use '06 brass, Same with 243/308.

Too easy to screw up.

Bad enough that a couple weeks ago when I took my Model 64 to an ICORE match with a bunch of 357s.

I have too many different type guns to be fooling around making this out of that.

SIGSHR

Holding an all original Krag is holding history, a "one war rifle" perhaps but you can find yourself back in Cuba in 1898. On another board (or was it here) a member recommend checking the bolt for cracks in case some prevous owner pushed it past its limits, IIRC they recommend using gasoline or kerosene, in place of proper flux.

Mike40-11

Congratulations. After shooting a few I've been looking for a good one for about 5 years. Keep finding beat up sporterized or improperly "de-sporterized" junk. Makes me want to cry.

Krags have the slickest, smoothest bolts I've ever shot.

mete

It's the locking lugs that should be examined for cracks ,in case someone used hot loads. A welding shop should have 'dye penetrant' or 'magnaflux ' equipment .

Howard31

Krag

You're gonna love that Krag. Been shooting one for years and can't say enough about it. Never had a problem getting Brass from Midway. They really love a 220 grain Round nose. :)

stu925

I think you'd better do something really nice for your wife for Christmas. Get her something she's always wanted.

Stu

chiefr

I reload for 2 Krags, a carbine & an original rifle. I have found these rifles are much more accurate with bullets of 180 gr or more. The original mil round was a 220 gr. My best groups are with 180gr PSP and 44gr of 4831.