.30-40 AI! Oh Yeah!

taylorce1

Just got a smoking deal on a new barrel going to have it chambered in .30-40 AI. I just won a .308 Marlin T/C 28" Pro Hunter barrel the other day and it arrived on my doorstep for the low ball price of $130 delivered still in the blister pack! When I found out about winning it I called Match Grade Machine (MGM) and it will be another $75 plus shipping to have a new chamber cut.

I've been wanting to play with a .30-40 AI ever since I read P.O. Ackley's books. From what I recall the .30-40 and .30-30 were some of the better cartridges to do the Ackley Improved chamber on. I always wanted to find a sporter Siamese Mauser or P14 action to build this cartridge on but for the price I'm happy with the single shot for now.

Should get me .30-06 Performance out of a rimmed cartridge that will be easier to extract and grab while hunting with gloves on. 2700-2800 fps with 180 grain bullets and 2300+ with the heavy 220's. Kind of like reinventing the wheel I know but it sure is fun to play.

taylorce1

No Mo .30-40 AI!

Talkig with MGM again about doing the rechamber and it can't be done. .30-40 isn't big enough to clean the chamber. The .308 Marlin has a base diamter of .470 and the Krag has a base of .457 so the chamber can't clean up.

So guess I'll be looking at either a .30 gibbs or .300 H&H to build.