30-30 Win Barnes TSX H4895 and/ or Varget Loads

SRE

So I am an avid white tail hunter and like using my 30-30's. Lately it's been Pre-64, post-war Model 1894. I have my go-to loads but wanted to expand to the 150g Barnes TSX as I have grown to really like the TSX bullets in other chamberings. I like H4895 and Varget but have not found any data published from Hodgson or Barnes etc for the 30-30 and these propellants.

Anyone used the 150g Barnes TSX with either of these two powders?

green_MTman

Does the Barnes bullet have a flat nose,because the Win.model 1894 is a tub mag gun.if you want to use spitzers get a H&R model single shot or ruger no.1 or the savage 99 box style lever gun

Unless your chambering one round at a time of coarse

Also why even reload a 30-30.for its ranges factory is fine,unless your using a single shot or savage 99 and loading a 165 gr. Bonded core bullet for an elk load

chiefr

I own an older Savage bolt gun in 30-30. With this one, I can use the 155 and 168, spitzers. The carts have to be single fed.

May not sound like that big a deal but, I can hit targets at ranges I won't mention due to skeptics out there. BLC2 and 3031 are my favorites. I have tried Varget and results were average, but went back to the older powders.

CowTowner

I own an older Savage bolt gun in 30-30

I have one of these as well. I haven't started loading for it yet, but I do have a nice supply of 160 Gr Hornady FTX bullets to load. Seems these would be the best bet for your lever gun as well as they are flex tips and safe for tubular magazines.

totaldla

I think you're out of luck here

Most folks don't know what you are talking about. :)

I don't know why Barnes didn't bother to work up loads for the two most popular powders on the planet, but they didn't. Personally, I would use H4895, start low and work up. My guess, based on Barnes data with W748, is that I'd be at max somewhere around 2100-2200fps. But that's just my guess.

If you do decide to work up a load with H4895, ping the folks here for QuickLoad data as a sanity check. No sense stretching a nice 30-30 by running 60Kpsi loads through it.

I like H4198, and I love it for my 45-70, so I would use Barnes load (if I used Barnes bullets - which I don't).

Tom68

SRE, I'm presuming that you are talking about the 150 gr. TSX Flat-Nose Flat Base bullet, which would be fine for using in tubular magazines. Having said that, if you haven't done so already, send an email to Barnes and request additional data (they have a link on their website under the reloading data section, the address is tyh@barnesbullets.com.)

They typically list only two offerings on their website for each bullet weight per cartridge, but if you send an email they'll provide an expanded list of powders for each. i've done it twice, and each time I got an additional three choices. if that doesn't do it, simply ask for data for a particular powder in your favorite bullet/cartridge and they probably will have something to get you started safely.

good luck!

Tom

SRE

Of course these 150g Barnes TSX are flat nosed made for the 30-30 specifically that I am talking about.

30-30 is a popular round, Barnes TSX is a popular bullet and H4895 and Varget are popular powders. Was just inquiring to see if anyone has ever worked up loads with these combos. Thanks for all the helpful responses! I will call or email Barnes most likely.

For the record, I enjoy hunting with the 30-30. A lot actually, and it isn't always about velocity and pushing the safety limits to get that desired velocity and performance combo. For me it's the feel of the guns chambered for that round. Lever guns, like the 1894 and 336. I enjoy them. Maybe i'm old fashioned for my young age.

I've taken some hammer white tails in Maryland with plane old Nosler Flat Base 150g bullets in front of normal charges of H4895. Deer that scored in Boone and Crockett's 160 class. The round performed just fine. So I don't really buy into all the hype about needing the most, and biggest, and baddest calibers. 30-30 will do.

wjhenderson

30-30

SRE, I agree with you in using the 30-30 to hunt with.I can't help you with the Barnes bullets as I've never ventured further than Sierrra,Hornady,and Speer.I have 3 lever 30-30's and each likes it's own recipe.I have bolt guns that are much more accurate but I like carrying a 30-30 sometimes.One of the posters said why bother reloading for it when factory ammo is good enough.I don't like settling for 4 MOA factory bullets when I can work up a load that shoots 1.5 MOA.Thats why I reload.

Tom68

SRE, I hope you'll come back with results after you've had time to try out the Barnes. I load 30/30 for practice rounds only, haven't yet begun tailoring loads to my rifle, but if I did I would consider the Barnes TSX flat point.

So far my M94 has never shot factory ammo any better that 2" @ 100 yards, which certainly is good enough for deer at typical 30/30 ranges without a scope... but I'd like to do better than that if possible. That is, after I finally settle on loads for 7-08 and .270, which I am still pursuing!