30-30 to 38-55 conversion... anyone?

oldcars

I am thinking about finding another 30-30 and having it re-bored to a 38-55. I have gotten some conflicting information about the difficulty of the conversion and I am curious if anyone here has done this? from what I have read, (mostly) it's a simple re-bore and re-chamber job and the action will work as-is. I have not bought a gun for the conversion yet, but I am thinking either a beat-up or rough bore Winchester 1894 or 94, or Marlin 336, or 94. Or the cheaper store-brand versions of the same. Has anyone here ever done this? what action would be best?

Creek Henry

I've never heard of that being done... is this a nostalgia thing? If you just want a 38-55, I think Uberti makes one. Talk to a good gunsmith though... obviously. It sounds expensive as conversions go.

Scorch

Simple and straight-forward. Rebarrel and rechamber.

BTW, you cannot use a Marlin 94, that is a pistol cartridge length action, typically chambered for 44 Mag and 357 Mag. You were thinking of the 1893, perhaps?

PetahW

JES Rifle Reboring ( www.35caliber.com ) does them all the time, along with the rebores to .35 cal - for about $245 (today), IIRC.

IDK about converting a Marlin 336, but a Winchester 94 just requires the rebore/rechamber - which Jesse Ocumpaugh does as part of the job.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
You can look for a good-used .38-55 barrel as well as doing a rebore. I disremember if it's Numrich Arms or Gun Parts Corp, but they might have one.

I've found good-used Model 94 barrels at the smaller gun shows in New Mexico and Arizona. I was looking for a Type 1 .30-30 at the time; $45.

oldcars

Cool, thanks for the info. It's actually the JES ad that got me thinking about the conversion, I talked to a friend of mine last night who has a Sears model 45 (Marlin 336c) and with a 20" barrel and pistol grip stock I think it would be a good one for a conversion. Now I just need to talk him into selling it to me! Or find a different one. I like the look and feel of the Winchester, but it seems like the Marlins are stronger, simpler, cheaper, and already drilled & tapped for a scope or peep sight ( I already have a new Lyman in the parts bin) I guess It all depends on what I find cheap sooner.