30/30 reciever sight

srtrax

I'm wanting to put a reciever sight on a winchester 94 - 30/30, and use it as the primary rear sight. What sight do you recomend, pros and cons. I'd like a metal sight as to an aluminun made one, is finding one in exclent shap hard to do these says, or would it cost an arm and a leg. Seems i've seen them at the gunshows and they are proud of them! Is the aluminum sight o.k. to use?

LHB1

I had great success with Williams FoolProof receiver sights on Marlin 1894 (.44 cal) lever action and Marlin .22 cal lever action rifles. Both Williams and Lyman used to make suitable receiver sights for Win 94 guns. Check Brownell's catalogue for current availability. You may be lucky and not have to change the front sight. I didn't have to but did anyway in one case because I wanted a globe (target) front sight.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

Slopemeno

You can damage the steel ones too, so the aluminum one isn't a bad call. There is usually a small screw on the opposite side of the elevator which, once the gun is sighted in, can be turned in until it touches the receiver. This prevents the sight from being crushed down into the receiver.

I've saved a couple by *careful* bending back to level.

Another option if your gun is going to see rough use is the WGRS. It doesnt have click elevation changes, or any of the fancy stuff, but once zeroed and set, its a beefy, trouble free setup. It screws into the two holes on the top rear of your Marlins receiver.

I've had a couple of Foolproofs on airguns and .30/30's, and they have held up well. I usually take the insert out and use them as a ghost ring.

srtrax

Thanks guys, this is going on a Winchester 94 30/30 (1973 top eject model) that i forgot i had. When i had the old gunshop i bought it from a guy who tried to clean it himself , but lost some of the screws in the process. :rolleyes: He didnt want to order parts for it and well i bought it over 12 years ago.(Screws where ordered 12 yrs ago, have you noticed the price change from then to now! :eek:) I have a highly figured chunk of walnut that is good for this type of rifle, to much burl for a big bore! So i'm going to doll this one up and make a half mag rifle out of this little 20" carbine, and it just didnt seem right to put an aluminum sight on it. But if you've had no problems with it i'll try that first... again Thanks.

fisherman66

Please give us a view of that purdy wood once you have put sum work into it. I believe this one might be the nicest 30/30 I've ever seen.

srtrax

Harry sir: Yes, i think your right. A scope on a lever action rifle (Winchester 94) hanging off the side just aint right!

Fisherman sir: Will do ,i cut the general shape out of the blank and started to carve the tang in and i have to say i like it, and the grain runs in the wrist better than i thought it would.

Hobie

Both the Lyman and Williams have aluminum bases now. The Lyman 66LA looks more traditional to some. Sounds as if you have a great project coming to fruit.

Sarge

Srtax,

I have used the Foolproof with excellent results on 94's. I recommend the smallest white bead you can get for woods hunting, and if I expect fine shooting at distance with a particular rifle, I'll mount a fine blade front sight that I cut from an old steel bead, years ago.

Good luck with yours.

srtrax

attachment.php

Hobie: I've had this blank around for a few years and was'nt sure what to put it on, then i remembered i had a Winchester 94 30/30 laying around. The grain flow looked like hell from the outside so i knew it couldnt take a lot of recoil, and all the burl mixed in didnt help. So i flipped the blank over knowing the Win. is a smaller stock i ended up with a good grain flow in the tang area. Its a 1973 red model Win., so i'm gong to have the reciever color case hardened and have already shortened the magazine to a half mag.. Winchester made a light weight 94 carbine, but just not as nice, so i thought this would make for a good light weight rifle with a reciever sight sans the rear sight. My eyes are not what they use to be so a peep is right anyway and the Winchester just screams for them as it is!

Last edited:

srtrax

invessgt: That is what i was thinking a small white bead up front, thanks for the confirmation, i'll use it ! :)

fisherman66

That stick makes me feel all fuzzy inside. I saw the book match for sale not long after you posted the pict the first time. Those guys have sum purdy wood. I don't usually suffer gun envy, but you get me every time S.

srtrax

Hey fish: Actually i got this about 2 yrs. ago from http://www.luxusgunstock.com/ The forend was to be matching, but not even close. I see a lot of there stuff with the rifle marked out in diffrent places in each side of the stock. If one does see a blank from this sight look it over really good, Buy it because of good grain flow and balance from one side to the other, then buy it on emotions. But walk through it real carefully, there are some (a lot) that are a little iffy! Where was the blank that you saw? I would like to see it or the sight. Don't get me wrong, i got this on sale, and love it for what it is, just tread lightly if your looking there!

Last edited:

fisherman66

I saw the book match at Lexus stocks. You posted a link on the Ruger #1 thread and I looked at all their stock. I understand the risk of buying some of these blanks. I trimmed mine down to reveal 15 or so stress fractures. All I have left is wood for a few knife handles and possibly a revolver grip.:(

srtrax

Yes i saw that in a thread also, sorry about that. I have one out in the shop that went to the crapper and was a wet peice that i liked very well, live and learn i guess, the hard way. Couldnt have been one of the plainer less liked blanks. Anyway i'm keeping a watch for ya, as i look almost everyday for good buys on blanks, getting harder to do on the web as they are all exhibition anymore, or from the last tree standing in America! :rolleyes: Dont know what your budget is but i have got some from http://www.hunterbid.com/ at what i thought was a good price. If you watch them much and know how long they have had it online you can sometimes get them cheaper. But on the other hand i have seen a price increase not long ago, what was a 250.00 blank is know a 450.00 and up blank. There is one out there with your name on it, i'd like to see your project finished, because it's a great project. Maybe like mine, 5 yrs. in the making, but what the hell, its a reason to get up in the morning! :D

Here is an example: Nice figure in the butt and straight grain and figure in the forend, what you'll want for a forend so it will stay in place and not move on you! http://www.hunterbid.com/cgi-bin/new/Auction/APViewItem.asp?ID=4351

Harry Bonar

WOOD!!!!!

Sir:
That wood is super if it all looks like that - (almost as good as a really super looking flat-belly on the beach!!!!!!

Harry B.. I can't even type!!!!!

OJ

I use the Williams FP94/36 aperture sight on my Winchester 94 30-30 and am very happy with it. Adjustments are very precise (something like 1/4" change of POI for one click) and installation didn't require drilling/tapping.

BUFFALOBILL94A.jpg

This happens to be my Winchester 95 30-06 (which did require some very careful drilling/tapping) but the left side of this sight looks just like the 94/36. You might notice the aperture is removed here (as it is now on my Winchester 94) so it functions as a ghost ring sight - which I like a lot - quick and just as accurate for me.

WFP71GR-XSSIGHTS.jpg

I've also had great service from XS Sights and use this one as the front sight of the Winchester 94. The white stripe increases visibility - especially in low light.

PA120007.jpg

Works for me.;)

:D

srtrax

Harry: Yes sir, after cutting the blank to fit the 94 it does have all figure in the butt end! The forend looks promising also...

OJ: Nice pictures, hell i mean nice guns, thanks for the tips, the 1973 Winchester i have is drilled and tapped already for a reciecer sight.