.30-.30 contender handloads

9ballbilly

I would like to know if anyone has any input on handloads for the T/C contender .30-.30 10" bbl.. I use the gun for hunting whitetail deer in upstate NY. I was briefly involved with handloading about fifteen years ago and seem to remember getting outstanding accuracy using nosler ballistic tip bullets. For the life of me I can't remember the rest of the loading data for that load. Anyway, I would like hear any input on this gun/caliber anyone has.

" Ma and I made a deal, she cleans my guns and I don't spit in the sink"

How's that for redneck?:D

Ozzieman

I tried,,, Lord knows I tried, but I never had much luck with a Contender in 30-30.
The Best I ever came up with was using H110 and the lighter bullets, I don’t remember the load I came up with but I am sure it was on the upper side of the book powder weights. Accuracy was acceptable for deer out to 100 yards but nothing to write home about, but I do remember a lot of flash and bang.
Speer reloader number 10 shows 130 GR using H110 Min 16 @ 1512 and Max at 18.0 @ 1708, just be sure to use a magnum primer for H110.
I am a fan of 4895 but all that did was to burn more out side the barrel than in.

9ballbilly

Thanks for the input. I will try the cowboy load. If, by some miracle, I come across my old notebook I'll post the load using the nosler ballistic tip. Most of my limited experience with reloading was with .44 mag. but I remember thinking the 30-30 load was probably the single best load I ever came up with. DANG, wish I could remember it!