30-30 bolt action question

Red_Eagle

I want to load some 150gr spitzers for a Savage 340C. I have Sierra game Kings and Nosler Ballistic tips on hand. My question is will one or both of these expand reliably at 30-30 velocities? We're talking 2200-2300 f/ps with a near max load. Thanks in advance.

alfred

My 340 C and various bullets.

I had trouble getting some pointed bullets to stabilize in my Savage 340 C.It shot well with 150-170 30-30 bullets.alfred

Red_Eagle

Mine does about 2" with Hornady and Speer 170 FN. I tried some 150 Speer spizer once and I think they did about 1 3/4". I'll try the sierra 150gr RNs if theses Noslers dont do the trick.

Prince55

.30-30 Bolt Action Rifles---

What powders are giving the best accuracy/velocity and are the .30-30
bolt actions very popular ? I'm thinking about getting one.
Everybodys talking about the new Hornady Lever Evolution spitzers.
The way I see it a Handloader with a bolt action has always had that
advantage with Spitzer bullets for better flight than the old round nosed
bullets that are traditional for most .30-30's.

Thanks

Red_Eagle

The 340 has a few problems with spitzers. Mainly magazine and reciver length. I tried the Noslers 150 gr and to get them to fit the mag they were seated too deep. If I continue with spitzers I'll probably drop down to 125-130 gr. For now, I'm just gonna keep playing with the 170 gr Pro hunters I have on hand.

Prince55

That's what I had in mind, one of the Savage/Stevens type of bolt actions.
Wonder if some of the Hornady 155gr or 165gr bullets might do better ?
But then, I guess they would have to be seated even deeper.

Red_Eagle

Another thing and prpbubly the biggest from a hunting stand point, is that the 30 spitzers are constructed to function at higher velocity than RN / FP. Most of them just won't expand at 30-30 velocity. I talked to the Sierra tech yesterday. So I know game kings won't.

Scorch

If you look in the front of the Hornady manual, you will see the bullets rated by recommended velocity ranges. You can use that as a guide when choosing your bullets.

Also, when choosing a bullet, realize that s pointed bullet of a given weight will be longer than a flat-nosed or round-nosed bullet of the same length, so shoot lighter bullets in order to make sure they are stabilized. You will gain velocity in doing so, and that can only help in the case of a 30-30.

Red_Eagle

I have that manual. the 130gr spire point looks like it would probably work too. The 130gr Barne's TX is another I'd like to try at some point.

alfred

I have had many questions and few real answers so far.

Does anyone have the exact bore size and twist rate on the 340C?All of my carefully recorded slugs and records were discarded as "Trash" and I was labeled as "ungrateful" for complaining about it.

Has anyone on here tested the new Hornady ammo in the "Old" 336s and 340Cs?How does it fit in the magazine of the 340C?How does it feed in both.How does it do with the Micro-grove rifling?Why did Marlin feel it was necessary to come out with completely new rifles,change the barrel length,the rifling type and twist if the ammo was great or MADE for the rifles they were making?Is it of much use for these older 340Cs and the standard Marlin 336s?

Will the old readily available anywhere ammo work well in the new XLR rifles or are you tied to the new more expensive ammo?Being that the rifles "Specially made" made by Marlin for the Hornady ammo have longer barrels,different rifling and different twist rates.This should tell us all that there was "Hullabaloo" mixed with the facts in the advertising.They carefully Avoid telling you that it will do as advertised in your old Marlin 336.

I believe this "new" ammo was designed more to sell new guns than to improve anything with the old.Much of the "new ammo" in the last 10 years seems to be for this purpose.Often a very large investment is needed to take advantage of very small gains.

Does anyone have any answers or opinions to my questions?I am thinking,wondering about and searching for answers.

I have read the reviews I can find available on line.I have found out the hard way,that some folks claims and opinions in their printed word are far different than mine.Some folks greatest promoters and followers seem to have the least experience backing their judgment.This is why I am asking all of you as most to many seem to actually know more than some who have written about guns for many years in my humble opinion.A gift for Bull Manure and what one wants to hear is not very helpful EXCEPT in politics and to sell magazines and the things that they advertise.alfred