30-30 ballistics

Coop de Ville

In response to a previous post looking for a scout type rifle, I have been looking at some Marlin lever guns in 30-30. Does anyone know where I could get info on this cartridge in terms of camparing it to more modern ones such as the .308 Win?

Thanks, -Coop

Hot Core

Hey Coop, You can stop by your local Gun Shop and get a Federal, Remington or Winchester ammunition catalog for FREE and all the information you want is inside. Also includes the barrel lengths. Or visit their Web Sites.

Or, you could visit Bullet and Powder Manufacturers Web Sites who have Loads and Velocities listed which you can compare.

And best of all is to get your hands on a Reloading Manual. Here I would recommend the current Speer Manual, but even getting a used, older one off ebay will work. These include the Internal Ballistics (Powder Loads per Bullet weight, the resulting Velocity, a short story about the history of each cartridge, etc.), External Ballistics (Retained Velocity, Retained Energy, Trajectory, Wind Drift, Time of Flight, etc.), information about reloading and great details about how the various styles of bullets are designed differently on the inside.

With the Component Manufacturers Load Manuals, you can spend many enjoyable hours asking yourself the "What if I pick a .....?" type questions.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Coop de Ville

Thanks for the replies

I don't reload, so I would be buying whatever is available at the local stores. I will check out the websites though...