30-30 190 grain load needed

Quantrill

I have an old book (Complete Guide to Handloading by Phil Sharpe) that lists 2 loads for a 30-30 with 190 gr bullet. Unfortunatly, the powder reccomended is SR 80, long since out of production. He also has a few loads for a 180gr lead bullet with Unique powder. 4.0 for 800fps and 8.0gr for 1260fps at 20,000. But don't forget, this is a 1937 book and powders and meithods of pressure measurement have all changed.

Some loading manuals still have information for .303 Savage using 190-gr. bullets.

The .30-30 and the .303 Savage have virtually identical case capacities, and their loading data overlaps considerably.

If using jacketed bullets I would use an IMR powder like 3031 and start at the BOTTOM of the .303 Savage data and work up from there VERY slowly, keeping an eye out for any signs of pressure.

Quantrill

Uncklenick,
The 180gr is listed as lead. I would assume he is talking cast lead. The 190gr is listed as, lead BT. Again I think he is talking about cast lead bullets.

My 45th edition Lyman (1970) has 190-gr. loads for .30-30 using jacketed bullets, but no loading information for .303 Savage. Apparently it was well on its way out even then.

The 43rd edition Lyman (1964) does have loading information for .303 Savage, but no loading information for 190-gr. bullets in the .30-30 section.

The following tactic probably isn't "best practice," so I'm not providing any charge data. Do something like this at your own risk.

When I cross compare them, 1970 .30-30 190-gr. data to 1964 .303 Savage 190-gr. data...

OK, the data is SIGNIFICANTLY different for the same powders, probably largely due to the fact that the Savage 99, even the early ones, were significantly stronger than the Winchester 94 action.

This does not appear to be the slam dunk that I thought it would be.

I did, however, discover that my Speer Reloading Manual No. 3 is signed by Ray and Vernon Speer.

30-30remchester

Thanks Mike I will have to dig out some of my old Lyman manuals. I will be loading some Winchester 190 grain Silvertips meant for the 303 Savage. I bought some Buffalo Bore 190 grain ammo but dont want to shoot it up determining where it impacts compared to my 170 grain sight settings. Am anxious to try this Buffalo Bore load on a cow elk this year to determine its effectivness.