30-06 to 25-06 change over question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIG P

I have a older 30-06 M77 Ruger that I was wondering how much trouble it would be too change it to a 25-06.Is the barrel & the bolt face all I would have to change? or just the barrel ? I'm tryin to do this as cheap as possible.It would be used for yotes & pigs mostly.Any info would sure help.I have no problem with the 30-06 just want to shoot 25-06 awhile THANKS GUYS. ANY general ideas on cost of this project would be of help also.

natman

The 25-06 is a 30-06 case necked down, so there's no bolt face or feeding changes needed. Just the barrel.

PIGMAN

Just the barrel. You probably know this (but re-statement of all things concerning firearm safety is not out of line),if you change the barrel you need to have it fitted by a gunsmith for proper head spacing.

If I was going to do the job I would order a replacement barrel from Ruger since there is no contouring or threading necessary.

http://www.ruger.com/service/partsOrdering.html#

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Cheapest decent barrely will run you 100+. 200 is more likely, and 1-200 for a good gunsmith to swap and headspace it.

Cheapest barrels can be good barrels, but I wouldn't expect the best. More expensive barrels, you have an expectation of good performance.

I've got a .25-06, a beautifully done full conversion of a 1903 Springfield. Death ray laser beam on yotes to 400yds with the right bullet and load. Further, if you are good enough.

Watch the bullets though. Some of the varmint bullets are not made for .25-06 speeds. I got some 87gr HP that say don't exceed 3400fps, and thats where the 25-06 is just kicking in!

Pigs? better go with the 120s and pick your shots. Otherwise, most likely, you'll be trackin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.