30-06 to 25-06 change over question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIG P

I have a older 30-06 M77 Ruger that I was wondering how much trouble it would be too change it to a 25-06.Is the barrel & the bolt face all I would have to change? or just the barrel ? I'm tryin to do this as cheap as possible.It would be used for yotes & pigs mostly.Any info would sure help.I have no problem with the 30-06 just want to shoot 25-06 awhile THANKS GUYS. ANY general ideas on cost of this project would be of help also.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The bolt faces are the same.

For not a lot more money than the barrel + labor for the change, my suggestion would be a good used .25'06. The .30-'06 would be a more reliable killer on hogs, particularly the larger ones.

Few .25-'06 bullets are designed for thick hide and heavy bones. Sure, a good hit will work, but the possibility of a surficial wound also exists...

lefteyedom

Just a barrel replacement.

You will only need to have the barrel changed. The bolt face is the same and the magazine will work fine without modification.
Buy as good of a barrel as you can afford and find a good gunsmith. It is well worth doing.

As with any "high speed" cartridge bullet selection is key. Today it is very easy to buy bullets for deer or for varmits. Just choose the correct ammo for your game

I had my 721 Remington rebarreled from 30/06 to 25-06 and have been very happy with it.

Scorch

As others have said, it is a simple rebarreling job. Cost? Depending on the results you want. Let's assume your smith will charge about $150 in labor to thread/chamber/crown/blue barrel. It may be a bit more or less, I don't know, but let's assume that is a good working number. So, in order of cost:

Cheapest, about $220 using a Numrich barrel (I wouldn't recommend this one, but it is an option).
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=584180&catid=0

Next cheapest, about $250 using an A&B barrel.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=103203

Next, about $350 using a Shilen blank.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=799558

And about $400 using a Douglas blank.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=980450

So pick your poison.

rr2241tx

IMHO, unless you are competent to do the work yourself, you will be money ahead to buy a used Ruger 77 in .25-06 and if you decide to sell the .30-06 you might break even on the swap. Changing a barrel and paying for the work is no longer a cost-effective way to change calibers. YMMV

GeauxTide

As Art said, a barrel job will cost about 600-700 because the labor is as much as the barrel. I wouldn't get anything less than a Douglas, Shilen, or Shaw. I have one Shilen and two Shaw. The Shaw cost much less and shoots as well. You can find a new Savage or Marlin for the same money, or even less.

mdd

Blued/wood ruger 25-06's are readily available on gunbroker used for the same or less money than a rebarrel with a quality blank. Stainless/synthetic can be had right around $500 if its not the skeleton stock model m77 mkII. New hawkeyes can be found under $600 & that is the route I'd go for a 25-06 ruger. I purchased a used m77 mkII s/s 25-06 about a year ago. Turns out it had excessive head space of which the seller "had no idea" (lying sob). Paid $500 for the gun, $50 for s/h & ffl, then another $200 for the barrel setback, rebore, & recrown. Add $150 in for the timney trigger and all of a sudden a $500 gun is a $900 gun before the vx-ii leupold it wears.
What I'm saying is save yourself the time, money, and aggravation & buy yourself a new gun. Have two working rifles for the money you'd put into yours or into fixing someone else's problem.

BIG P

Thanks alot guys,Does'nt seem the change over is the way to go.Guess I'll look for a good used 25-06 Savage or Ruger maybe even a 700 rem.

Status
Not open for further replies.