30-06 resized brass

flyboy14

I have a brand new rem 700 cdl boone and crocket. Tried to resize some once fired brass from my rem 7600 pump. 20 rds of win, 20 rds of rem. Full length resized, trimmed, cleaned, deburred, and cleaned all lube from casings. I tried to chamber 3 rounds (hand fed into chamber tried to close bolt) to feel how bolt closed. The bolt would close but it took quite a bit of pressure.
Did this before casings were primed, just to see how they would chamber. The dies are basically brand new, only loaded 100 rds for my pumpgun, before trying these, dies and shellholder are both rcbs. Have had bolts feel snug when neck sizing with other calibers, but never when fl sized. This rifle has never been fired, just picked it up yesterday. Any ideas would be welcomed! I have two boxes of rem core lokt I bought new just to try the gun, so not a huge problem, but can't figure out what is going on.

Red_Eagle

Have you tried cleaning the chamber? Might just be a little too much cosmoline in their. You could also try some virgin brass and see how that does.

flyboy14

I cleaned the entire gun, chamber, barrel, took the stock off and wiped the whole gun down with rem oil, then tightened all of the bedding screws.

flyboy14

Thanks, did not even know there were so many forums on this site! Now you are personally responsible for feeding my addiction.

Gbro

Are you going into a full toggle with the press?
My RCBS instructions say to tread die down to the case holder and then a little more until the press toggles distinctly w/o a case.
I don't do that as i neck size by using a dime between the die and case holder.

Yithian

You should reload Pump and semi auto rifles with "Small Base" Dies.
Redding and RCBS make them.
Something about how the chambers in those types of firearms has a longer shoulder.
Anyway, the Small Base Dies will ever so slightly 'bump' the shoulders on the brass and keep them feeding proper.

Don't feel bad, I only learned of this last week myself, after I bought a Saiga 308 and wanted to reload for it, so started looking and asking around.

Stop cleaning and tearing apart the rifle....just re-adjust your sizing die. I had the same problem so I backed the die out, re-adjusted it per directions and the FL sized cases chambered fine.

elkman06

Have to agree w/ above. Readjust your sizing die per original instructions. Also double check your oal length now. My Dad had his press mounted on a somewhat flimsy base and wasn't using enough lube. When pulling the cases out on the downstroke, they were getting stretched back out in length.
elkman

garryc

Make sure your shell holder is the same make as the dies.

Use a spray lube on the cases, but not too heavy.

Set the die so the press toggles over when it contacts, not a lot because we don't want to stress the press.

when you size the brass, back it out and hit it again, maybe three times.

Likely the 7600's chamber is larger than the 700's. If the brass is bigger in the base then there is little you can do. To determine this, fire a round from both the 7600 and the 700 and compair the diameter at the base. That ammo should come from the same box of factory new brass.

I segragate my brass. I use a small triangular needle file to nick the rim of the brass. I keep the file at a low angle so it's more of a line than a notch. No deeper than headstamps.

flyboy14

finally got to shoot new gun today, long story got truck stuck trying to get to my shooting spot, but after 2 hours and some help got out and got to shoot! Shot factory ammo out of rem bolt gun, .75 group. Got home with brass, resized through same dies, chambers fine. Used my mic to measure brass, oal, neck, and head all measure same as far as I can tell. Don't know why brass from pump won't chamber, but will just keep all separate, and can't wait to see how much better I can make handloads shoot through this rilfe.

tyrajam

When those cases where shot in your 7600 they fireformed to its chamber, and I'm guessing the headspace is different enough that even after full length sizing they won't fit right into another gun. I've never reloaded cases fired from a pump, but this often happens in single shots. You'll just have to keep your brass seperated.

Jimro

New gun = new chamber

I'm assuming that you are using an old FL sizing die. If your new chamber is on the small end of spec and you old FL sizing die is on the large end of spec, that would make sense that your once fired through the pump brass has a hard time chambering in the new rifle.

Let us know how the once fired brass from your new rifle reloads.

Jimro

ibfestus

'scuse me just a thought...

...any time you try to hand feed empty cases in any kind of rifle, you have to have the rim UNDER the extractor or your bolt won't close.:confused:

castnblast

I didn't read the other posts, I'm skimming, but sounds like your COL is too long...i.e. your bullet ogive may be butting right into the lands. That's my guestimation.

crowbeaner

Having shot the M760, M700, and M742 for years, the best advice I can give you is to segregate your brass according to the rifle it was fired in, and get a small base die set for the stuff that is going to be fired in all of them. I SB size the ammo for my M742 and M760 because they have to be able to extract without the strong camming action of the M700. It is also imperative for proper functioning of the non-bolt guns for the ammo to sit on the bottom of the chamber to obturate(expand and contract) when fired to be able to extract. For this reason I use MEDIUM burning powders in the assembly of the fodder for them as slow burning powder will stick a case or cause the blowby of powder gases when the bolt ejects the cartridge in the 742. All the advice posted about having the ram of your press cam over upon the uppermost travel when sizing your cases is correct. So is the advice on making sure the shell holder is the same mfg. as your dies. Chambers on the M760 and M742 are more generous than the M700; nobody wants a jammed rifle when a bruin is involved in the picture, and sometimes a fast followup shot is desired. FL sizing of the brass fired in the M760 is almost an absolute necessity if you intend on firing it in the tighter chamber of the bolt gun. The Benoit brothers of big whitetail fame favor the M760, so the rifle has it's followers. It also has the advantage of a one piece barrel so there is no velocity loss due to gas bleedoff to cycle the action. Hope this helps. CB.

jpwilly

I had the same issue once when reloading my 7.62x54R for a Nagant and basically the die was set up wrong.. Once I re set up the die everything was fine.