30-06 or 30-30

Holman

What is the best rifle to use for hunting deer and wild pigs in thick woody areas where shots will be taken at about 75 yards or less? 30-30 or 30-06? or is there a better rifle for this type of hunting? I know shot placement is a priority but I would like to know what caliber has the best 1 shot knock down and kill for this type of hunting? I will be hunting in East Texas. I do have a Marlin 45-70 but I have not used it for hunting, Is this all the gun I need? If so what bullet should I use?

IrishGrit

I've killed Blacktail and whitetail with both cartridges. 150 gr loads w/ the /06, and both 150 and 170 loads w/ the 30/30. At 75 yds....I suggest you pick the gun you can shoulder the quickest and shoot the best off-hand, as either will cleanly dispatch any deer or hog alive. I have killed 7 deer with a Marlin 30/30 and I've never recovered a slug yet. All animals went less that 30 yds and all were shot just behind the shoulder. Same with the 30/06 at that range....although I have recovered a few slugs because of the rapid expansion due to the velocity of the bullet at close range. If it were me I'de take the 45/70 just because I like BIG calibers and I've never killed anything with that caliber! You are juggling 3 sufficient calibers....just pick one and place your bullet in the right spot.;) Good luck.

Z_Infidel

Your .45-70 will do just fine for the purpose you have outlined -- it is capable of taking very large game within its effective range. If you want to hunt using something with less recoil, I suggest the .30-30 at those distances.

woodland

I'd use the 45/70 too. At the ranges you stated, it is right in it's habitat. (not saying it is no good past that!) At those ranges, you have no trajectory problems, and with the lever action, you have quick follow up shots. I would choose it over the 30/30, especialy for pigs.

But don't let that stop you from buying another gun!!!!! Of course you need an -06 too! :D

Magnum88C

Deer and hogs at 75 yards or less and you have a .45-70?

You already have all the gun (and more) that you need. I hunt both deer and hogs with my Marlin 1895 and it puts them down with authority.

But really, a .30-30 will do both critters at that range, and everyone should have one.

And in a few days it will be the 100th year of the '06, so you really need one of those as well. . .:D

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The .45-70 would work just fine. No real need for anything else.

Between the .30-30 and the '06, it's not really a matter of "better". The .30-30 would do a plenty-good job in the 50- to 100-yard distance. The '06 would kill at farther ranges, but certainly no deader. :)

Art

Holman

what ammo do you like in the 45-70? I do not reload so what are some good factory ammo? PMC, Remington, or Winchester? I do not think I will see anything big enough for Garrett ammo, but I still would like to try some one day. Hornady has a new lever action high powered bullet coming out, anyone tried it?

TPAW

I've used a Mini 30 with a Wolf 154 Grain Soft Point, or Corbon 150 Soft Point. Additionally, I have also used the Marlin 336c lever action in .35 Rem.
Both are very effective out to 100 yards.
The .06 is for longer shots 100 to 300+ yards.