30-06 "calibers"

Cpl Nobbs

I have what may be a very stupid question.

for a M1 Garand, can I load any .308 round for it? IE: I have a box of Hornaday .30 cal .308 150 grain BTSP and a box of Hornaday .30 cal .308 110 grain FMJ (bought to load for a M1 Carbine). can I load the 110 FMJ (with appropreate charge) into 30-06 cases and shoot them in the Garand?

Dave R

I'm not an M1 guru, but my guess is you'll have a very hard time getting a load that will cycle your action reliably with those 110 grain bullets.

The 150's should work well. Any .308 bullet near the weight of surplus ammo (which is what it was designed for) can be made to work, with appropriate powder charges.

Speer No. 13 has some loads "starred" as appropriate for the M1 and other gas-operated semi-autos.

Ruger4570

The M1 is not a good gun to play around with with other than close to original 30-06 velocities in military weight bullets. It is possible to damage the op rod with loads that create too much pressure and not operate at all or poorly with smaller charges. I would advise sticking with loads close to the military 06 loads

Tim R

There are some guys who use Sierra 125's for the short line. I have used Speer 130 Hp's myself for 100 and 200 yard matchs in my '06 M-1. I would not go over 175 gr. bullets in the M-1.