3" SP101 or 6" GP100 in .327 Federal?

Cosmodragoon

Ruger has been on a roll lately. They've got a ton of new stuff out but that puts some of us in a predicament. There are too many amazing choices! :eek: I know different people will be torn over different choices but here is mine.

The 3" SP101 in .327 has returned! This fills the gap between LCR and the 4" SP101 that have been in regular production. I've heard more than a few people say that the SP101 is "just right" at three inches. So, it's well balanced and just long enough to start cashing in on the little super-magnum's extra powder.

The 4" GP100 is back but now they've also got a six-inch version! I think this is the longest-barrel option to hit the market outside of the single-actions. This is a lot of gun for the little super-magnum and it should a lot of fun to shoot. For those of you who have those longer-barreled single-actions, how do you like it?

I'm not posting an official poll or anything but I am curious to hear your thoughts on these new options from Ruger. Anyone planning on getting one or the other?

Real Gun

I enjoy my Single Seven 4 5/8 more than most other guns I own, but Ruger doesn't really have a platform that is quite suited to the cartridge. The Single Seven has a loading gate that is just barely allowing rounds to load and unload. The SP101 in 3" doesn't have adjustable sights nor a barrel long enough to exploit the 327's potential. The 4" SP101 has goofy looking sights, while probably the best of the lot. The GP100 is just too much gun and wastes itself on too small a cartridge. The round count it holds is kind of a lame claim to being wonderful. I like six shooters. My GP100 is customized to 41 Special, still 6 shots, and really uses the GP100 to the fullest without being unpleasant to shoot.

smee78

I would get the sp101 3" if it had low profile adj type sights. The real question for you is what are you looking to do with the gun? Cc, hunting, paper shooter?

I'm still looking for a nice used LCRX or lcr 327 to show around here.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

TruthTellers

I'm just not interested in .327 in a GP100. They have 7 shot .357 GP's available now, so why would I choose the smaller caliber when it doesn't give me that extra round in the cylinder I love? If there were an 8 shot .327 GP100... I would strongly consider one.

But, that doesn't exist so if given the choice, the SP101.

I'm still not sure what my ideal .327 revolver is, but it's either a J or K frame size with a barrel 5 or 6 inches.

tallball

For some kind of CC situation, obviously the SP101.

For plinking or the range or HD, the GP100 sounds better to me. That 6" barrel would sure give some improved accuracy and velocity. (Plus SP101's are kind of small for my hands and can have stiff triggers.)

Sevens

I've got the 4.2" barrelled GP-100 and lots of hands-on with the original 3-inch SP-101 and the 8-shot Blackhawk (what was that... 5-7/8"?)

Between the two you listed, I'd rather have the 6-inch GP-100. But not enough to roll the dice with "new gun of the Obama/post Obama era" where seemingly every manufacturer has outsourced QC to the end consumer.

What I'd like most is a 6-6.5-7-7.5-inch Redhawk... give it NINE rounds capacity if you can or eight if you can't.

Sure, it'd be as gangly as all hell, but I use .327 Federal for no serious tasks, for me it's merely enjoyment and range fun. I don't imagine that there's a large group of enthusiasts that are shooting the 4.2" GP off a sandbag rest at steel plates 200 yards down range... with 123 grain plated AK-47 rifle slugs. That's the kind of oddball past time that I enjoy, and a long tube Redhawk would be even nicer for that fun.

Cosmodragoon

I already have the LCR and 4" SP101. I like both but with different loads and for different things. The LCR 327 is my warm-weather EDC and shoots well with the lighter Hydra-Shoks.. The 4" SP101 is actually a beautiful gun and nicely balanced with Hogue hardwoods. It can do a lot of jobs and is great as a slender six-gun. Unfortunately, it faces the same problem as most revolvers in that size club. It competes with 9mm semi-autos for practical carry consideration. So the 4" SP101 mostly blows up stuff from my recycling bin on the weekends. :D

That said, I'm not sure that the 3" SP101 would offer anything new or compelling as far as carry and it's still a little short. I'd probably keep the stock grips at that length. I've got some nice aftermarket grip panels that have been hanging around since I sold off my shorter SP101 in .38 special... (Plus rationalizing a new purchase to round out my collection of .327 guns!)

I suppose that applies to the 6" GP100 too. It would be too big for carry in most cases and in cases where I might, I already have big guns in heavier calibers. Having a 7-shot .357 magnum available hurts it too. Of course, it could be ideal for some kinds of handgun hunting and it would probably be very comfortable to shoot. I suppose it could edge out the 4" SP101 for plinking and the cataclysmic aeration of plastic containers...

Echoing TruthTellers' sentiment, I don't know why the GP100 doesn't hold eight. Maybe the geometry was such that seven was the max for .357 and .327. In that case, a Redhawk could definitely do it. At six inches, why not just offer an 8-shot Redhawk? I've never seen or held a GP100 greater than four. Is it awkward or does it balance nicely?

Armybrat

Just picked up my new .327 from Grabagun yesterday. I like how Ruger moved the ugly lawyers "billboard" off the side of the barrel down to the bottom of the ejector housing. Fit & finish is nicely done:

34_B7_A721_CCD2_47_E3_A30_F_84_E4_E44072_F5.jpg

TruthTellers

I already have the LCR and 4" SP101. I like both but with different loads and for different things. The LCR 327 is my warm-weather EDC and shoots well with the lighter Hydra-Shoks.. The 4" SP101 is actually a beautiful gun and nicely balanced with Hogue hardwoods. It can do a lot of jobs and is great as a slender six-gun. Unfortunately, it faces the same problem as most revolvers in that size club. It competes with 9mm semi-autos for practical carry consideration. So the 4" SP101 mostly blows up stuff from my recycling bin on the weekends. :D

That said, I'm not sure that the 3" SP101 would offer anything new or compelling as far as carry and it's still a little short. I'd probably keep the stock grips at that length. I've got some nice aftermarket grip panels that have been hanging around since I sold off my shorter SP101 in .38 special... (Plus rationalizing a new purchase to round out my collection of .327 guns!)

I suppose that applies to the 6" GP100 too. It would be too big for carry in most cases and in cases where I might, I already have big guns in heavier calibers. Having a 7-shot .357 magnum available hurts it too. Of course, it could be ideal for some kinds of handgun hunting and it would probably be very comfortable to shoot. I suppose it could edge out the 4" SP101 for plinking and the cataclysmic aeration of plastic containers...

Echoing TruthTellers' sentiment, I don't know why the GP100 doesn't hold eight. Maybe the geometry was such that seven was the max for .357 and .327. In that case, a Redhawk could definitely do it. At six inches, why not just offer an 8-shot Redhawk? I've never seen or held a GP100 greater than four. Is it awkward or does it balance nicely?
Speaking to the 6 inch, I've held a .357 GP with that length and it felt great. I greatly prefer it to the 4.2 inch because the extra 1.8 inches adds very little to the weight of the gun.

The 7 shot GP100 with 6 inch barrel is on my long list. I'm gonna wait for a used one that's been proven out.

I'm not sure why Ruger didn't do 8 shots in the GP100. I might have to do with it requiring more machine time to pop in an 8th chamber and bolt stop and they're figuring that the .327 GP's aren't going to be that big a seller and are just running off a limited production.

I would have ZERO interest in a Redhawk with less than a 9 shot cylinder for .327.

Model12Win

I'd love to see a .327 Feddy Maggie N-frame Redhawk or Super Redhawk with a 9-10 round cylinder, however many they can ram in there!!

JJNA

There is also a Lipsey’s version GP100 in 327 with a 5” half-lug Barrel with a walnut grip and brass dot on front sight. Feels lighter than either of the regular 4” or 6” versions. The grip is comfortable and attractive, but alas, has a loose fit on the frame.

Real Gun

I have a number of 327s but am taking a different view of these guns and the role they can play. As a reloader, I reviewed Brian Pearce's Handloader magazine article on loading the 327 Federal and took note of the milder loads he included in the range of his testing. I was always characterizing the cartridge as too loud for a carry gun, when in fact it could be loaded down, as one would do for the smaller 357 Magnums, even Speer with its "Short Barrel" line. There are a number of cartridges and associated guns that are often referred to as "reloader's guns". It's not always about store-bought ammo nor about shooting one of the lesser cartridges the gun is capable of firing, again store-bought.

rc

I bought the 4 inch GP the first time they came out. Great gun but I always wanted a 6 inch version to get the most out of the caliber. I may have to look at the 6"GP in 327. I don't shoot the caliber as much as I'd like because I have been focusing on 9mm compacts for carry lately but that 6" gun would be a great camp/farm/trail gun. rc