3 screw Blackhawk questions....

oldcars

Hi, I just bought a 1970 Blackhawk .357 with a 6 1/2" barrel out of an estate. The gun has alot of bluing wear, and the grips are sanded down, so the collector value doesn't exist which is fine by me. I like the smaller frame size than my new Model .45, but I'm not crazy about the 6 1/2" tube, I would much rather have a 4 5/8".

I have a couple ideas and questions I wanted to run by you guys:

-I have a nice 4 5/8" 357 barrel for a New Model, are they the same threads?

-If not, how hard is it to find a 3-screw 4 5/8" 357 barrel?

- I have also considered a .44 special conversion, how much would it cost to have the cylinder bored? who does this kind of work? is it easier to rebore and rifle the original barrel or find a .44 barrel?

BrittB

I'd shop around for another gun. I found my 1962 .357 three screw about 3 weeks ago for $300. Their out there and by the time you get all of the work done, you could have found one all good to go. Mine is in good condition with only a little holster wear on the bluing. Great gun!

BlkHawk73

Clements or Gallagher will produce very fine work as well. I use the later. If ya gonna do it, do it right and don't cheap out skimping.

oldcars

Well, I don't want to spent alot on it because it is going to be a pack-around gun and will get wet, dusty,etc. I don't abuse guns, but they get used and not babied. (at least a handy little one like this would!) if I can find a barrel, a local gunsmith friend of mine can install it correctly, and I wouldn't even be opposed to cutting one down in legnth. I would just have to find someone I could sent the cylinder to for boring the rest I can do here. As silly as it sounds, I probably won't even re-blue it. I have spent alot of time looking at the awsome work and fine conversions in books, magazines, and online but this needs to be a working gun not a fancy one. I am trying to do it as inexpensively as possable, I can always build a pretty one later (OR make this pretty OR just buy a new 44 special and keep this a .357?)

Venom1956

Leave it. :D That exact model was my FIRST revolver. If it is anything like mine you have a shooter. take it out and see how she groups before you modify it. 6 1/2" may seem like a LOOOOOONG barrel but you'd be surprised the accuracy you can get out of it also makes those .357s easy to shoot.