3 inch Taurus .45 Colt

cheygriz

I recently saw a picture of a snub nosed Taurus .45 Colt. 3 inch barrel, I think.

Does anyone here have experince with this weapon, and if so, please give us an evaluation.

TIA! :)

BillCA

Cheygriz,

Can't comment on the .45 Colt snubbie directly. But I can tell you what I thought of their Model 415T - A Titanium 2" ported barrel .41 Magnum.

FUN! Using 175gr WW Silvertip JHP's recoil wasn't any worse than a standard 125gr .357 Magnum. The porting worked very well and kept the nose down (i.e. the gun didn't try to twist upwards in my hand). The Taurus ribbed rubber grips soaked up the recoil nicely too. Firing 210gr JHP (Remington) was like firing 158gr .357's in a snubbie - *sporty*. No double taps with those! (Probably none required if the 1st shot makes contact!)

My guess is that the .45 Colt with a 250gr LSWC or RNL, moving around 800fps would feel like a .38 +P in recoil. I'd like to find any of these in good condition here in Kalifornia.

Alaskee

Here is a link to the stainless model 450. http://taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=450SS2C&category=Revolver
They also make a titanium model and an ultralight model with an aluminum alloy frame. They are made on Taurus' compact frame and have a 5 shot cylinder. I own the ultralight alloy model (20 oz.) and like it. All these models are ported so you get all the benefits of big muzzle flash. The ports start at about 1 1/2" down the bbl so it's difficult to get good velocity out of this pistol with factory loads. Even the hot loaded stuff takes a little bit more barrel length to get the bullet up to speed. I handload and with a little experimentation I've been able to push 200 grain JHPs to 1000 fps out of this gun. CDNN had them for under $300 awhile back and I think just recently sold out of the last of the stainless model (they may have one or two left).

41special

I've got a M415 and a M450, and I love the Taurus compact frame series. The porting is great in that short barrel.

The steel frame one's are out of production now though. But if you check around on the net you might find some new old stock.

For the money there a great carry gun!

2.5 " barrels

dakotashooter2

Have the ultralite and it's a blast. Still working on loads though and have had some minor problems with the gun cured with some polishing of parts. Best load to date has been 200 gr XTPs using 45 Schofield cases. Definitly not a "double tap" gun though and I haven't been able to get much accuracy beyond 15 yards. Was actually looking for one in the 41 mag but couldn't find one at the time.

trespass

I have a 450 (45 colt 2 inch compact) and it is a lot of fun to shoot...using cowboy loads I was surprised at how LITTLE power the gun produced from the short barrel...the bullet would not penetrate a double layer of ballistic nylon at not more than 7 feet. And plus p loads are not recommended.
So, if for home or personal defense select your ammunition carefully. I put the small grips on mine, available from taurus usa, and I like the feel of the gun better than with the larger "gripper"-style.

Old John

I like mine..........

Hi Y'all,

I picked one of these up used, but like new, about 3 years ago,
in SS. Mine is ported. It makes a big Flash in low light.
Before I was retired I had the money tobelong to the
"Gun-of-the-Month Club". I don't buy as often now though.

I like the way it shoots. It's a good 10 yard gun. Makes big holes.
I can keep 'em all in the 9-ring.
I carried it for awhile, in a Galco SM112, loaded
with Win.Silvertips. The only problem I have with it is the soft rubber
grip snaggin' & draggin' on my clothes. It prints a bit also.
Now, I carry it in the console of my truck frequently. Good truck gun.

My .357 mag.SP101 is smaller & rides easier.
1st Choice though for CCW for me is my 1991A1 Colt Commander,
in .45acp. Flatter & more rounds.

That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger.
Nietzsche

shep854

I have seen one in .45ACP. It uses a proprietary moonclip, which is a weakpoint for .45ACP revos; extra clips can be hard to get. However, if you can come up with .45AutoRim brass, it should do fine in the gun.

Reloaders are a nice feature for the 445 (the revolver in .44Spl); HKS makes a speedloader for this size gun.

SouthpawShootr

The 455 is the .45ACP. I just bought one a few weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to take it out to the range yet. Looks like an excellent fun-gun as well as a decent concealed carry gun. Uses full moon clips (the factory ones are kind of shabby, but another moonclip supplies makes them). BTW, if you want the 450, 455, or 445 you'd better get one soon, they've all been discontinued (at least the 2 inch models anyway). I don't know what the problem is with Taurus these days. I really wanted a 445, but had to settle for the 455 b/c I couldn't find a 445 anywhere. If they were discontinued b/c they weren't selling well, the supply sure did dry up quickly. CDNN has the 455 2 inchers on closeout for a good price (www.cdnninvestments.com - you'll have to download the .pdf catalog to look at the guns though).

shep854

SouthPawShootr, I feel your pain. I snapped up a 445 2" a couple of months ago; it was the last one in stock and the shop said there are no more to be had. They are like Bianchi and .44 cal. Speed Strips: You wonder what they're smoking in the marketing department!

Ranger61

I've got a model 450 in 45 colt ported with a stainless frame that I've had about a year and a 445 in polished stainless without porting that I've had about 2 years. I like both guns quite a bit and they are not as hard to shoot as I thought. I did find that the Gripper grip on the 45 Colt pointed better for me and helps soak up the recoil.

SouthpawShootr

You wonder what they're smoking in the marketing department!

They're probably gambling that 17 round capacity wonderines will become the rave again. Thing is lots of people tried revolvers and liked them. I really hope they reconsider and bring them back. I'll get a 445 to go with my 431. Maybe a 455 with a 4 inch tube also.

Catbird

My Taurus Total Titanium chambered in .45 Colt:

Colt45-Pics010.jpg

Colt45-Pics012.jpg

The six barrel ports in combination with the rubber (RIBBER) grip, allows for comfortable shooting with full-power .45 Colt loads, i.e., CorBons.

chaim

If they were discontinued b/c they weren't selling well, the supply sure did dry up quickly

From what I hear they didn't discontinue the big bore snubs because they weren't selling but because they were introducing more new models than usual this year and they needed the capacity. I guess they may not have been slow sellers, but among the slower sellers for Taurus? At any rate I suppose they must think some of the new models (like the Gauco, 905IB, etc.) will sell better. I'm hoping, since these were apparently discontinued to make room for newer models, that they will reintroduce these later when either some of the new models fail or when they build more factory capacity.

dgludwig

Taurus snubbies

I have had good luck with my steel-framed Model 415. I can manage a fairly quick double-tap with WW 175 gr. STs, but wish they still made the old downloaded "police" loads. I do prefer the 2 1/2" barrel length of the .41 as compared to the 2" lengths of the .45s. I don't care that much for the barrel ports (lots of muzzle flash), but I guess it does help control muzzle flip...Does anyone know where I can get a good speedloader for this revolver? I bought some "Maxfire" speedloaders from Dillon Precision Products made specifically for this gun but I'm not entirely satisfied with the way they work.

shep854

Dgludwig, pardon my ignorance of the Taurus revolver line, but is the 415 a 5-shot .44spl? If so, the HKS CA44 speedloader is a perfect match. I use them with my 445.