3 inch mag loads for geese?

PoorRichRichard

I just got a nice used New Haven 600 AT 12 gauge shotgun (it's the old Monkey Ward version ov the Mossberg 500- same gun), and it's been great for small birds- dove and quail. My hunting buddy has a Benelli Nova which can handle the big 3-and-a-half geese loads, but my and can only take up to a 3 inch shell. So does anyone have any 3 inch recommendations for my new gun that might take down a Canadian Goose?

black mamba

Shooting steel shot, BBs and 1s are good out to about 45 yds, but go with the larger 1-1/4 or 1-3/8 oz. payloads.

The best long range loads for large geese are the Heavy Shot 1-3/8 or 1-1/2 loads in either 2 or 4 shot, but they are mighty pricey.

jmr40

I've killed geese at closer ranges with #2 steel, but only when I was duck hunting and had an unexpected opportunity. If I were specifically going after geese I'd use BB's.

Although more expensve some of the Bismuth and other non-toxic shot works great. Since it is more dense than steel you can go to smaller shot sizes such as #2's and do very well. If I were primarily a duck hunter and only rarely needed something for geese I'd strongly consider this route.