3" Colt Python

lonegunman

Anybody ever seen a 3" Python... Someone is trying to sell me one for $1250. I have not seen the gun yet.

I have heard they exist, but are rare. Anybody have experience with them??

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Sorry, lonegunman but I can't help you out.
I've never seen a hybird 3" Python. Could
the seller possibily be mistaken; thinking
a 2-1/2" is a 3"? Just a thought.

Regards,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Marko Kloos

The Python was made as a 3" variant at some point in a limited run for Lew Horton Distributing; I believe it went by the "Combat Python" moniker. A picture can be seen here:

http://www.sunsetguns.com/Pic0005.htm

They're legit, but I don't know what their current value is...(note to self: pick up 2001 Fjestad's at the store today.) I'd assume they'd fetch quite a bit more than a regular Python, and we all know how much they go for these days.

lonegunman

Yes this is a "combat magnum"...

I found it mentioned in the Blue Book, and it said they were special ordered by a distributor in California. It also said they probably started off as 8" models that Colt rebarrelled to 3" before they left the factory.

It says they command a premium, but didnt say how much.

Blue Duck357

Some catalog (Blue Press?) a few months ago had 3" factory Colt Python barrels for if I remember right less than $60. You might want to make sure the seller did not just buy a $500 python and replace the barrel. Would be a neat carry gun though, but not at that price if it's a made at home job.

jimmy

I saw a 3-inch Python at a gun show maybe five or ten years ago. Judging from the original box that accompanied it, it was the real thing. The guy wanted $650 for it. That seemed like too much at the time, so I passed, although I'm a Python fan. Of course, in retrospect, I should have bought it. Another one that got away!

Dfariswheel

I've heard these described as "Combat Python's" and "California Combat" Python's. I do know that Bill Chapman swears that his is the ultimate combat revolver.

I too, recommend insuring that somebody hasn't switched barrels and made up a "rare" gun. A letter or call to Colt will tell.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Thanks for posting the pic lendringser,

as I never knew a 3" Colt Python existed.:( Looks
like a mighty fine weapon; but what is the real
advantage over the 2-1/2" version, except as a
collector's item?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

GO VOL'S

Dfariswheel

A 3" barrel gives better balance, longer sight radius, and reduced muzzle blast. On S&W 66's, at least, the extra 1/2" also allows for a full length ejector rod, which makes reloads easier.

I seem to remember Colt also selling 3' Pythons.

lonegunman

Well, really, I must admit the advantage of a 3" over a 2.5" barrel is probably marginal.

I am interested in it mainly because it is a scarce item, not a run of the mill python.

I think a 4" python is best overall for practical use.

9mmepiphany

the bill davis company, ppc bull-barrel guns, in sacramento had some back in the early '80s. they told me that they were made from 8" pythons that weren't selling.

i could never see any advantage to a 3" barreled python as the 2.5" model already has a long enough ejector rod for full lenght ejection