3" barrel in .45lc (or .44mag)?

canuck1911

I have seen some S&W mountain guns with 3" barrels. I normally think of this as being a bit too short for the .45lc or .44mag to develop full velocity. I've thought about 4" is the minimum needed.

Also, I assume accuracy degrades with this barrel length.

Are my assumptions correct? I like the shorter barrel/weight for backpacking, but only if it actually performs well.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Given a choice of barrel lenght's, I prefer the 5" barrel model's, in both the .44 Magnum and .45 Long Colt caliber's. :) This includes
considerations for backpacking/woods use. :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Grapeshot

Canuck, besides a 4" 625 Mtn. Gun, I have the 3" 696 .44 Spec. I can't comment on velocities since I don't have a chronograph, but as for ease of shootability, I would give the edge to the 4" BUT only slightly. The truth is, I find it necessary to practice more often with both of them than with my 6" or longer revolvers, which I seem to be able to neglect a while and then pick up and shoot pretty well.

That being said, I can hit just as well with the 3" as I do with the 4". It requires a little more practice, but I think there's something magic about a 3" gun: if you want something for concealment, it carries and points GREAT and it seems to be far more easy to hit with than any 2". If you're not going to conceal, you probably would want the 4" gun then.

Gunslinger

I've carried a six inch "N" frame concealed for over twenty years so I am not the best one to discuss the relative merits of the shorter barrels for CCW.
However, I have spent quite a bit of time shooting a 629 Lew Horton with the 3" barrel and like it. The round butt and finger groove grips make it as accurate as my four inch model 29's and recoil even more controlable.
I do agree with Dan though. You are not gaining a great deal in concealability or weight with the 3" over the 5.

------------------
Gunslinger

Missouri; Home to ballot fraud and dead senators. We're so proud.

canuck1911

Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. I've been inundating the forum this week with various questions, because after new year's, I won't be able to get many guns here in California, and so I have to make some decisions quickly. I've decided to go with a 625 .45lc Lew Horton that I found new. I think the .45lc will be adequate for any wild game out here, and the weight and recoil are right.

Thanks again.

Canuck

Bottom Gun

Canuck1911,

If you're still interested in .44 velocities, my chronograph shows an average of 125 fps difference between the 3" and the 6" with the same load.
Hope that helps.

BG

canuck1911

I did get the 3" barrel, and I think it will be ok, although I'd prefer the 6" barrel speeds. Thanks for the info, though. It will be useful when I consider my next purchase.

blackamos

I have a 629 with a 3" barrel and a round butt. It shoots great but it like the 180 grain bulllets better than the 240's and a little better than the 200's.

Anthony

Hello,

I have a Smith & Wesson Model 657 in .41 Magnum with a three inch barrel that has been worked over by Ron Powers and has been Magnaported.

It is my favorite carry gun and it the one I chose to go to LFI with me. Although the four inch barrel give better shooting qualities, the three inch barrel is awesome for close quarters combat. The sights line up a hair faster, the short barrel and Magnaporting prevents gun grab attempts, and the silky smooth action allows offhand chest hits at 50 yards ON DEMAND. Finally, I stand 5'9" and I find I can clear the three inch gun from the leather somewhat faster than the four inch model. The short barrel also lends a lot of intimidation value as well as the BG can see the bullet gazing at him down the barrel. Try one and see what you think.

Typically I carry mind with Winchester 175-grain Silvertip JHPs (1250 fps) which is about 80% of a .41 Magnum's full power potential. Full house 210-grain JHPs at 1300 fps work just fine too though.

If I were going to tote a .45 Colt or .44 Magnum Smith & Wesson chopped to three inches I'd load them with the appropriate Silvertip loading. Velocity loss would be negligible.

- Anthony

canuck1911

Anthony,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will get mine magnaported as well. I've thought about getting a trigger/action job, but I'm not sure what the benefits are. Can you expand a bit on the difference that made?

Also, I tried to rent a .41 mag to try it, but my range does not carry them. How do you find the .41 mag compared to the .357, .44lc or .44mag? Someone told me that they have superior penetration to the .44 mag, but other than that I know little about the round and its handling and shooting characteristics.

Thanks,

CAnuck1911