3.5" Birdshead SA?

I had the pleasure of firing a Stampede Marshall in .45 Colt the other day, and it was really enjoyable. It's a really nice platform, and I've found that Cimarron makes one in .44 Special.

I see both companies make them for .357 Magnum, so I'm assuming they can handle "warmish" .44 loadings. Anything to worry about? I don't push Keith power levels, but some of my loads push the upper edge of subsonic with 240gr bullets. Most of the gun's diet will be milder than that.

I know the grip is a hybrid between the Birdshead and DA Thunderer, and that most are Uberti imports. Are the stocks somewhat interchangeable? I'd probably want to go with something a bit nicer than plain walnut.

Any other makers I should be considering?

Socrates

Tom:
I'd really be calling Jack Huntington, or Hamilton Bowen on this one. I'm not sure about the grips, but, the price point is kind of high to give me the warm and fuzzies. Such guns around here, used, are 500-600 and 650 if new.

I've heard others getting great deals on Rugers Montado, MSRP around 750, for around 550-600, and, BFR's are around 775 from Bud's, shipped. I just don't see great value in starting with such a gun, unless you just keep it the way it is. Also, I don't think any production gun stands up to a BFR at their price point, and, quality wise, I'd rather have the stronger BFR to begin with, but, that's just me. If I could find a clone for around 300-400, and, I didn't have to do much to it, I'd jump on it.

CraigC

I use more of Skeeter's 7.5gr Unique load than anything in my .44Spl's but the Keith 1200fps load does see use from time to time. Post-war Colt's and replicas are strong enough for such purposes. Shouldn't be difficult to procure one for about $450 or maybe even less. Cimarron usually has them even though most shops don't keep them in stock. The grips are typically fitted to the frame so any aftermarket grips should be ordered oversized for fitting. I've been sending my Colt replica grip frames to BarS for TruIvory.

Really don't know what Huntington, Bowen or BFR's have to do with it.

I use more of Skeeter's 7.5gr Unique load than anything in my .44Spl's
Ah, the smelly stuff! :) Mine don't usually push more than 950ft/s or so, sometimes less. This gun won't be a barnstormer, but mostly for fun.

Essentially, I really like the way the 3 1/2" birdshead platform shot. I don't mind doing some legwork to track down a good one. The Beretta was certainly nice, but I'm curious about the Cimarrons.

Really don't know what Huntington, Bowen or BFR's have to do with it.
I'm certainly not running any loads that'd require a BFR! Then again, Socrates is what, 2500 years old? Can't blame the guy for getting a bit mixed up now and then, especially after that business with the hemlock. :)

Socrates

I'm feeling everyday of it right now...

Anyway, I'd kind of like something like this:
Eds500vsBFRcustom7gripsleftjpg.jpg
[/IMG]

Eds500vsBFRcustom4gripsright.jpg

That's a ruger above it, so, if you don't mind me saying so, must be my eyes that my old eyes just don't see much difference in size. Course it could be because you young whipper snappers think all BFR's look like this:
50110left.jpg

My experience with 45 Colt has been most of the guns are a 400-600 dollar dice roll for quality. With my luck, two Kimbers with busted MIM parts, one S&@ that froze thanks to the auto-lock, I would like to buy a gun with a great reputation. That said, I REALLY don't know about the quality or value of the Euro-SA guns.

CraigC

Ah, the smelly stuff! Mine don't usually push more than 950ft/s or so, sometimes less. This gun won't be a barnstormer, but mostly for fun.

If you squint it almost feels like blackpowder! 6.0gr under a 240gr commercial cast bullet is a good one too. Nice factory equivalent that's great for plinking or practice.