3.5" 45ACP Accuracy Load

gmt210

I'm looking for next step recommendations on a reasonable target load for a Colt MK-IV Series 80 Officer 3.5" 45ACP.

I've started with W231 5.0gr to 5.4gr without much consistancy, random 6" groupings at 7yds, without any signs of key-holing, leading or jams though.

Current Components to play with:
Cast WW + 1% SN, air-cooled, Alox & JPW tumble lubed.
Lee 200 grain SWC, Sized .0015 over bore size.
Measured Bhn 15.8 hardness, avg of 5.
W231, Tightgroup, Universal Clays, H110, SR7625.
Wolf LP primers
Sufficient quantities of multiple case brands
Hornady LNL
Hornady New Dimension Carbide dies & Lee FCD

Thanks GMT

wxl

6 inch group at 7 yds is not accepable BUT is tis free hand? Have you tried shooting off a rest? May be your loads but would not expect 6 inch group. How much reloading have you done? If it is your procedure, then new recipe may not help.

helg

I would shoot a mag or two of factory ammo under the same conditions to check if the groups shrink. It may well be an inconsistent locking or some other problem with the gun.

And... you shoot from a rest, right?

gmt210

Answers & Clarifications:

Bore had previously slugged out to 0.4512, I size my cast bullets to 0.4528. I am very familiar with the Lee FCD, crimp just barely removes the flare & pulled bullets measure 0.4525. I recheck and pull the first couple every time I change headstamps.

7yd reference was done indoors with 2 hands, did not have factory ammo with me to try. I usually do not have any trouble holding my CZ-75D or GP100 to well under 1.5" at those distances off with my cast reloads with medium and full power loads. I've loaded and shot 1,000's or those rounds. This 45 is new to me.

I don't consider the recoil to be out of the ordinary, and surely less than the medium to full power 357 loads.

I agree that the Officer should do better than this at the short distance. I need to pickup some factory ammo and see how it shoots from a rest.

helg

Carbide ring on the 45 FCD is .474" (you can measure yours to check). Brass walls at the deepest point where the bullet seats are .011" thick (you can measure your brass as well). With this numbers, the largest bullet that is not being deformed by the ring is .474-2*.011 = .452". You see, it is on the edge in your case.

Try to do the same math with your numbers to see is your bullet being deformed in your shell. If you find that it is, and this is a source of the problem, you can open carbide ring to a desired diameter with a fired shell and valve lapping compound. 45ACP caliber has only .004" taper (.473" at neck and .476" at web), and oversized cast bullets can be touched by FCD' carbon ring.

Tacoma

3.9gr of clays (not universal clays!) behind that 200 gr lead SWC should be sweet in that gun. Burns clean too!

WESHOOT2

since my dies are set

My uber-accuracy 45 ACP gets Bullseye first.

If that doesn't succeed I switch bullets.
If that doesn't succeed I switch to Nitro 100
or AA2 or AA2 Improved or 700X or W231.

Sidewinder72

My accuracy load for hardcast bullets are 5.6 W231 and 200 grn hardcast. I do not use a FC die. 45's are picky on cast bullets. Load short and most will cycle fine. I started with bullseye but got better accuracy with W231.

gmt210

It appears that I have a sloppy housing/bushing/barrel fit. I can wiggle the assembly without much effort.

Any 1911 gunsmith recommendations for Northeast Ohio?

GMT

iblong

My Series 80 officer has had reliability work done and shoots the loads below very well.

230 gr.Rn or fmj. a little under 800 fps
5.3 gr.231/hp38
seated 1.268

5.3 and 5.5gr 231
200gr hard cast lswc. about 850 fps average
seated 1.250

5.5gr Unique a little under 800 fps.
230 LRN
seated 1.250

not hot loads but very goog accuracy in mine.

sorry, the above velocities were in my 5" did not crony out of my officer.

hoistfixer

3-3/4" Barrel .45ACP

I load the following:

Remington 230gr FMJ
Remington Brass
CCI 300 Large Pistol Primers
7.0 gr IMR Hi-skor 800-X

Pistol - S&W 457S w/3-3/4" barrel

Grouping 1" to 1-1/2" at 7yds standing two hand stance

Fire Rate - Slow - definitely no double taps

gmt210

Well I finally had some time to take down my Colt Officer's ACP and here are the numbers.

Housing ID = 0.765
Bushing OD = 0.759
Bushing ID = 0.703
Barrel OD = 0.694

Based on these numbers I would have a total stacked clearance of 0.0075 if I'm thinking about this correctly.

Looks like I need to order a bushing from EGW, while I'm ordering has anyone tried EGW's reverse plug and guide rod kit?

GMT