3-4 Year Firearms Storage? Ideas?

Chindo18Z

Going to overseas location (for 3-4 years) where I can't drag along my firearms. I have a reliable relative who will store in his climate controlled house (but won't use). I've a deathly fear of returning to find RUST on my weapons. Ask me how I know. Not concerned with the security issue, just rust. However, my custodian is not a shooter, doesn't own a gunsafe, and probably won't look at them after they are put away.

After numerous searches on various forums, I'm considering the following:

1. Thorough cleaning, light oil inside and out, vapor barrier paper wrap (Brownells or Midway), then stored in hardcase...

2. Thorough cleaning, light oil inside and out, vapor barrier paper wrap, place each weapon inside a plastic firearms storage bag or vacumn seal bag (removing air with vacuum cleaner), then stored in hardcase...

3. My own stupidly brilliant idea (for handguns): total immersion in sealed container full of oil (tupperware or vacuum seal bag (minus things like wood grips), then stored in hardcase...

Mostly handguns (ranging from N-Frame to 1911 to Keltec in size). One or two or three long guns (which can be broken down).

I am really concerned about what kind of oil or lube to coat with or immerse in with regards to blue and nickel finishes on some nice revolvers. Read one post which said that certain motor oils contain acids which can harm finishes such as nickel. I was kinda thinking about some type of motor oil if I go the immersion route or using Breakfree CLP if I just wrap & bag 'em...

Will too much oil or lube interfere with properties of vapor barrier paper?

Any other ideas or experiences?

fyrestarter

My father's gun collection was kept in a regular steel safe for about ten years before they were able to be transferred to my license. They received a light coating of oil and that's it. Not one speck of rust was visible any any of the firearms. Don't go crazy. Oil them, stick them in a safe, throw some silica gel packets in the safe, and go about your business.

Dave Markowitz

Use RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease) for long term storage, after making sure the guns are clean and don't have any fingerprints on them. The advantage of RIG is that as a grease, it'll stay in place better than oil, which flows more due to gravity.

Samuel2001

FOODSAVER?
OK! Do'nt laugh, but I live in earthquake country and have an earthquake kit in my vehicle just in case. Part of this kit consists of a firearm that has been vacuum sealed and in the trunk of my vehicle for the better part of 10 years. I lightly oiled my roscoe and vacuum sealed it, thats it! If getting to it in a hurry is'nt a problem you might want to coat it in some sort of grease or cosmoline before sealing it.

The trunk of my vehicle goes from ridiculously hot in the summer to pretty cold in the winter and I'm yet to spot any corrosion on it(bags are clear).

Oh, by the way the bags are not made in any particular length, its just a roll of tubular plastic. The vacuum process makes the ends of the bags, so you can even seal rifles! :)

dairycreek

If the guns are just going to lie in the safe.................

I recommend against silica packages. They do attract moisture that hangs around if not changed from time to time. The only rust I got on a handgun was because I used silica and did not change it often enough. Good shooting;)

Dfariswheel

The military and industry have largely gone to the vapor paper and special plastic storage bags for rust proofing.

The big advantage of this is, the parts DO NOT rust, you don't have to coat with thick coats of grease, and the gun or part can be removed from the bag and put directly into service without degreasing.

One caution: Standard plastic bags are NOT really moisture proof. The "soft" plastic used will pass moisture, so I recommend using the special "Hard" plastic bags sold by Brownell's and others specifically as gun storage bags. This special plastic does NOT pass moisture.

Another caution: Some hard cases have foam that absorbs moisture from the air. Sealing the gun in one of these cases is actually sealing it in with moisture that will cause rust.
A case with NO foam would be best.
You might look into removing all foam entirely and bracing the guns in place with soft plastic blocks.

If you coat the guns with a good, proven rust proofing lube like RIG or CLP Breakfree, and seal in the bag with the vapor paper, the guns will be rust-free for AT LEAST 10 years.
Since the paper gives off a vapor that totally prevents rust, it really isn't necessary to put a heavy coat of lube on the metal.

A key to rust-proofing is WHERE in the house they will be stored. Closets and basements are NOT good places, since still-damp clothes are put into closets, and basements are always damp.

I recommend getting the special plastic bags, applying a thin coat of lube, completely wrapping the guns in one or even two sheets of vapor paper, and sealing the bag.
Put the guns in a dry location, and you should be good for 10 years.

When you apply the lube, use a small paint brush to work the lube into all areas, and wear clean cotton gloves so you leave no skin oils on the metal.

Brian Williams

Use RIG or CLP wrap in paper and seal in Brownells bags, I have heard that Ed's Red with lanolin and some Lee liquid Alox mixed in will do for a number of years. The problem is the grips finish will be gone due to the Acetone in the mix.
Check out a woodworkers tool shop they sell some disc that looks like a urinal disc and they keep rust way down, I had one in my woodworking tool box and the smell was terrible but I had no rust and I used no oil which is good with woodworking tools, you want no oil to ruin the wood with a stain.

If you remove the grips or stocks will they warp and not fit later????

Also total immersion is not good then your friend will have this tub of questionable stuff in his house and how are you going to prevent damage while moving them around.

P.S. Send them to Me I will give them plenty of love and care, keep them occupied while you are gone so they will not miss you.

cas

I have a handgun stashed in my wet basement, that I vac packed with my FOOD SAVER. Hmmm..... been down there a few years, but I can't recall the last time I looked at it. Maybe I should. :confused: :eek:

My concern with it is your sealing in the moisture as well, assuming there is some.