2nd guessing handguns and credible sources

meat

Does anyone else here buy a handgun and then after a few days wish that they had bought a different handgun? It's almost like the satisfaction of the purchase has worn away after a few days of afterthought. For example, I recently bought a Sig 220, I like the gun very much. But then I started eying the HK USP .45. So I log on to the firing line to read past posts about it. Then I do some comparison reading about the SIG. You start to weigh the pros and cons of each gun and wonder if you made the right purchasing decision. I mean after researching on the forum one finds that "SIG's rust, the frames crack, blah blah; HK's firing pins break and the customer service stinks, blah blah." I mean how do you know what's BS and what is fact here?
Sometimes after all the researching, it almost makes me loose some joy in my purchase. Maybe I'm having to much faith in people here who seem to "know so much" about firearms. But it's hard to tell what is fact from fiction when you're not a firearms expert. Since I don't claim to know all that much about guns and am interested in learning more (that's why I lurk here ;) ), I often ask about the things that I read here at my local gun shop and they look at me like "WHERE the heck did you hear that?" I know that there is no perfect man made object, but I guess all one can do is purchase what they like or what meets their individual needs and hope it works for them and that they enjoy the purchase. Anyone have some thoughts of their own on this matter?

craigz

No matter what gun you mention, there's goiing to be somebody who says that it's the best thing since sliced bread and somebody who says it's a piece of junk. The truth is nearly always somewhere between the two. You should have no trouble finding a lot of people (myself among them) who say that the Sig 220 is one of the best pistols on the market. Take care of it properly and it's not going to rust, nor do you have to worry about the frame cracking. Just get out there, shoot your gun, and develop your own opinion. If you like it, then you made a great purchase, no matter what anyone else says.

Radicalcleric

I use what I call the "10 year rule." I only buy a gun after wanting one for 10 years. After a youth spent selling guns as quickly as I acquired them, adopting this rule has changed everything. If I buy a gun now, by God I really want it.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All,

While I'm no expert in the firearms field, I have been some
what fortunate enough to own many different types of hand
guns. Like craigz has stated, you will find many opinions, some
based on facts and others based on theory. I try to base all
mine strictly on fact's.

Now, having owned both a Sig-Sauer P220 and a full size
H&K .45, I feel that I'm qualified to voice a valid and very
truthful opinion.

Here is what I find:

Both the Sig P220 and the H&K are extremely reliable, well
made firearms. The Sig uses an aluminum frame, while the
H&K's frame is made of polymer. Does the aluminum frame
crack? There have been reports by some law enforcement
agency's that prolonged use of Sig models P220 and P226
there were some indications of frames that were cracked.
But, along about 1995 Sig addressed this problem, and
corrected it; how I do not really know but, that is what
was reported in the publication The Sig Quarterly.
Does H&K's firing pins break? Probably, again after some
prolonged usage. But, here again the problem has been
reportedly corrected.

Does Sig's rust? Well, I've owned five dating back to July of
1988 when I bought my first P220; and I've NEVER
had one to rust; but as craigz pointed out, I take really
good care of my firearms. I used the P220 as a duty
weapon, in the HOT climates of central BamaLand with
the likes of rain, blowing dust, sleet, snow, and tropical
moisture settling upon it; with NO ill effects whatsoever.
I highly recommend the use of "Break Free CLP" to protect
your firearms.

Now to accuracy! "Combat Accuracy" can be achieved with
either of these fine firearms. Sig-Sauer weapons that are
made and assembled in Germany should be accompanied
by a test target, shot at the factory. My P229, made and
assembled in Exeter, NH did not have one enclosed.

In closing, both weapons would make an outstanding
choice. For me, the H&K proved to be too large; and the Sig
P220 provided perfect balance in a self loading, semi-auto.
You won't go wrong with either choice!:cool: :D :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

C.R.Sam

Buyers remorse twice.
First time in the 50s, Gold Cup National Match. Over priced and needed lots of work to become competitive.

Other time recently. New barely pre agreement Smith 696. Bad, replacement bad.

Hundreds of guns in between without remorse.

Pretty good batting average actually.

Sam

eyeballz

I Know nothing about the 2 guns mentioned. But I have bought guns and have grown tired of them fairly quickly. I have faith in peoples opinions here on the FiringLine thats why I keep coming back.

HSMITH

Even if the gun is not something I really want I buy if the price is right. Trading stock is nice to have, and I like to try all kinds of different guns. Some have been a really pleasant surprise and have stayed, some have been dissapointments and have been traded or sold. I have only ever sold or traded one gun at a loss, but I have several yet that I will never get even close to what I have in them out of them. Custom guns are the worst in this respect, unless Wilson 1911 or something with equal recognition. I have only ever had one gun that I did not shoot at least once too, I get to shoot them and enjoy them for at least a while. There are some that I really kick myself for getting rid of too, but that new gottahavit was too tempting. Buy right and get rid of them if they don't suit you.

blades67

Does the SIG Sauer P220 fit your hand well? Can you shoot it accurately, if not, are you seeing improvement? If the SIG Sauer P220 feels at all large in your hand, the HK USP will probably feel even larger because of its double column magazine. If you think you missed out on the HK because you bought the SIG, it's probably because you want what you don't have. Go put one on Lay-a-way and see if you don't start to feel better.;) Nothing fixes your problem like getting one of each.:p :D

jack_the_sailor

Most shooters will give their opinion of pistols based on what works for them. What works for them may not work for me/you. So in a sense no one is wrong/right. I carry a Glock 17. I was having problems shooting it accuratly. I read an artical on grip & gripped the pistol too high. I was also taking a training class & the instructor said I had impropper tigger reach. So I knew a shooter that had a HK USP 9 c for sale. I had rented 1 once & thought I shot it better than my Glock. So I bought the HK. At the same time I fixed my shooting problem with my Glock. So after shooting the HK & Glock side by side. I shoot the Glock better. So I'll probably wind up selling the HK. Did I make a mistake buying the HK? No. The only way to test 2 pistols is to shoot them side by side. After I sell the HK, I'm going to pick another 9mm to test against the Glock. Since you bought the Sig buy a HK & test the 2. Keep the 1 that works, sell the other. If you want a 45 get a 1911.

krept

Good posts guys.

My situation was the opposite! For my first pistol, I bought a 1911 clone that turned out to have many problems. After reading great reviews about them (at the time) I was determined to stick with the pistol even as new problems would come to surface. I finally snapped out of my haze and traded the pistol for a USP and have been very happy with it.

Of course I've been though the firing pin worries with my USP, been through the kB worries with my G27. Worried about accuracy before I first fired my Kalashnikov clone. So far, so good.

bountyh

The only gun I have ever regretted buying was my Browning HP because it's such a dog. It just won't shoot straight and has had nothing but problems. Too bad, because a good HP is a good gun. As for all other guns, I always grow to love them over time. If you like the sig but want an HK, the solution is to buy the HK as well.

IanS

Don't give too much credence to all the incidents and experiences claimed on the worldwide net. There are frankly a lot of people doing foolish things with their guns. Not cleaning them, using overloaded/underloaded handloads, general neglect and abuse, and the occasional bad factory round. There are also many who have an irrational urge to dump upon one particular manufacturer. Disgruntled employee? Someone who bought a lemon? Someone who's a little too enthusiastic @ their own particualar brand?

If there's a problem with a gun by a reputable manufacturer in a well known model that's been around for at least 5 years (for me); problems tend to be in a very small minority. (10 years is too long of a wait for me :D) Even some brand new Toyota Camrys and Honda Civics have problems. On the internet these cases tend to be magnified into a full blown epidemic.:rolleyes:

As far as your Sig P220 goes. If you shot it and you like it you should definately keep it instead of being lured into a USP. The P220 is one of the finest modern .45 autos ever made. And that has been well documented in the last 20 or so years it has been around.

*But what it really sounds like to me is you're on your way to becoming a gun collector.;)

meat

First, thanks for the responses. Some excellent responses. I think that for me I tend to read to much about particular handguns and let the negatives a particular handgun outweigh it's pros. It's funny, because when I first see certain handguns and read about them, I really can tell if I personally like it or dislike it. Then I immediatly start the internet research and look for the cons. All of a sudden, I'm turned off from the gun. I guess I need to change my outlook and these posts have helped w/ the proper perspective they provide. I guess it just proves why we all love the various kinds of handguns and why they have such specific functions. Otherwise, why would we want more and/or different models if there was one perfect gun that could do it all?

And yes Ian11, I'm definitely starting to collect more, I already have my eyes on a CZ-75b, a Ruger SP101, and a Springfield 1911a1 Mil-Spec. Guess I've caught the bugg, needless to say. ;)