284 bullet selection

Red_Eagle

I'm looking for a 150-154 grain .284 diameter bullet that will reliably expand at 300 yards, but won't come apart at minus 150 yards.Muzzle velocity is about 3,000 f/ps. I'm using Nosler Partitions right now, but I'd like to use something a little cheaper. Also, would bumping up to the 160-162 grain projectile fix this delima. According to my manuals they'd have an M/V of about 2,800-2,900 f/ps.

rogn

Why mess with success? I use either Nosler partions or Barnes 140gr TSX. in my 7 WSM. All the other bullets have ben found wanting at < 100yd. Ive had Nosler accubonds break up on small whitetail at 140 yd, Sierras have normally separated in a 7X57(this was 20 yr ago) and Hornady 154s just did stay in one piece with the 7 mauser. The cost of the bullets for the 7 mag is such a small part of the hunt-why foul it up over 10 cents a bullet.

Scorch

Hornady makes a bonded bullet called the Interbond. It has the same high BC as the SST bullet they make, but with a bonded core.

thekyrifleman

I've used Sierra Pro Hunters for over 40 years in 7Mag, 7X57, 7mmSTW, 7mm-08. they do the job from 50 yards to 350....Killed several whitetail does with the 7X57 at 350 yards and all went down immediately. Penetration was through and through. Killed a nice buck at 20 feet with the 7Mag...no issues....Buy the premium bullets if you want, I have, but IMO, it's a waste of money!!!!!

fireroad

Myself, my hunting buddies, and their hunting buddies all shoot one 7mm or another, from the 7mm-08 all the way up to the 7mm STW. Everyone of us shoots either the Nosler Partion or the Barnes tsx/ttsx. I prefer the Nosler myself...it may not have the highest bc but it never fails and is bit cheaper than the Barnes. If you plan on shooting long distance (over 400 yards) I would try the nosler accubond, it is very popular with the long range guys. Avoid the Barnes MRX, it's ridiculosly priced and has turned out to be a poor performer when compared to the standard tsx.