.280 vs .280 AI

Demaiter

I'm looking at getting a rifle in 7mm - avoiding the magnums. Been deciding between the .284 and .280. When looking at the .280 I see a lot of .280 AI's.

I'd be using 160 grain accubonds probably. Any advantages or disadvantages between the two?

ZeroJunk

I have had a 280AI for about 20 years. I have shot some loads that would smoke any 7 Rem Mag factory ammo.

But, in the end I settled on 56 grains of REL 22 and 160 grain Nosler Partitions for everything. Regardless of what the manual says they actually chronograph in my rifle at 2770-2773 FPS. Very consistent velocity and they shoot fantastic. I've killed elk and deer with it, no problems. I'm sure I could stoke them up another 150-200 FPS, but don't really see the point.

Nosler makes the brass so you don't have to mess with fire forming, and in an emergency plain 280's will work fine.

taylorce1

Really not much of an advantage going to the AI version in a .30-06 cartridge if you are reloading which I'll assume that you are since you are considering this cartridge. Factory .280 is loaded to pressures that the old Remington semi-auto and pump rifles could handle not what the M700 action could. So factory ammunition is weak at best, unless you find some custom loaded ammo. A properly loaded .280 doesn't give up much fps to a .280 AI probably in the neighborhood of 100-150 fps on average.

You can approach the speeds of a 7mm Rem Mag factory load with either cartridge providing you can find the right barrel, powder and bullet combo. It will not however surpass most magnum handloads it just doesn't have the powder capacity to do it. Like ZJ said this cartridge is capable of taking elk as long as you do your job to put the bullet where it belongs.

Last edited:

GeauxTide

+1 taylorce

Was going to get an AI a few years ago, but got to comparing them in Nosler 5 and decided to go with a 26" barreled 280. That particular barrel liked loads about 2gr off maximum especially well. Even then, a 140 @3024 ain't too shabby, particularly with 3 shots in 7/8".