.28 Nosler

hooligan1

All you 7 mm mag fellas, the new .28 Nosler is here. Read about it in the new Rifle magazine.
Whats your Ideas?

TimSr

Haven't heard anything about it yet, but can't help but wonder what niche it will fill that is not covered by one of the other many 7mm catridges.

T. O'Heir

Been here for some time. Announced in January, 2015. Yet another answer to an unasked question.
Nosler claims it's the "most powerful 7mm cartridge commercially available today." Sort of is too. 3806 ft-lbs. at 100 with a 175 grain bullet. 2983 FPS at 100. Still doesn't do anything other 7mm's won't.

T. O'Heir your Correct

There are a number of 7mm rounds that are powerful that have impressive numbers when you compare them head to head. I have a New Nosler reloading manual #7 that has the latest available loading information, when compared head to head there isn't a nickles worth of difference between the 7mag calibers that are currently available.. In my opinion not enough difference between them to spend that kind of money that won't improve on what you may already have in your gun cabinet. Gunbroker has a Nosler 28 rifle listed that starts at $3,200.00.. William

Last edited:

green_MTman

Dakota and Lazeroni already claim to best the 7mm ultra mag.

the ultra mag is beltless already but has a rebated rim.who really needs better guns anyway.people need to learn to load and utilize properly the ones they have

reynolds357

Nosler either has a proprietary powder or is in some way making a not equal comparison with the 7 Rum. The 7 Rum has more case capacity than the 28 Nosler. The 28 Nosler has the same case capacity as the 7 STW. There is no way that all things being ideal for each cartridge the 28 Nosler can out perform the 7 RUM. It simply does not have the case capacity to do it.

FrankenMauser

Nosler either has a proprietary powder or is in some way making a not equal comparison with the 7 Rum. The 7 Rum has more case capacity than the 28 Nosler. The 28 Nosler has the same case capacity as the 7 STW. There is no way that all things being ideal for each cartridge the 28 Nosler can out perform the 7 RUM. It simply does not have the case capacity to do it.
Of course they're using a special commercial powder. That's the only way to get the job done, these days.

But... don't forget about chamber pressure, either.
.28 Nosler is spec'd for 65,000 psi MAP.

math teacher

Nosler has been advertising over 400 yards of dead hold on with their cartridges. They are allowing plus or minus five inches from point of aim, 10 inch window, which is too large for deer size animals. Their dead on range is just over 300 yards when using the standard six inch window. I am a big fan of Nosler bullets, but this is misleading.

hooligan1

Coal at 3.340, and 100 fps faster than the RUM. That's enough to get some people to bite, not me though, I like my rem mag, and my rifle only has about 900.00 including scope and rings....got the bases from my buddy Taylorce1. Thanks buddy!