28 Gauge to 20 Gauge

roy reali

About a year ago I purchased MEC Jr. to reload for my 28. I love the machine and the product it produces. I know MEC makes conversion kits for this machine, one being in 20ga. Has anyone here done the switch? How easy is it? Would I be better off buying another Jr. in 20 Gauge?

LHB1

Roy,
I used MEC reloaders for 30 years but used a separate loader for each gauge. Never tried converting one loader between gauges but found it more convenient to just buy another loader.

reloader28

I have every die but 10gauge and switch them once in a while, but it is way easier to get a different press if youre doing a lot of both. It takes 30 - 45 min to take down, set up and have everthing adjusted again. My 3 main sizes are on different presses. If you only load once a year for 1 of them, then think about the die set.

roy reali

Thanks

I think I will buy a separate machine for my 20 gauge.

I want to do more shotshell reloading. The loads I am producing now seem to out perform any factory stuff I was using. Plus there is the fun factor.

David Wile

Hey Roy,

I'm with everyone else here. I don't mind changing dies on my metallic loading presses, but changing dies on a shotshell loader is a real pain.

Many years ago I bought a used MEC Sizemaster in 16 gauge and bought a die set to change it to 12 gauge. It took nearly an hour for me to change the parts out, and getting it adjusted took another hour. Once I had done it, I figured I could do it more quickly if I ever had to do it again since I now had this experience. A few years later I bought another used MEC Sizemaster in 12 gauge and thought I would change the first one back to 16 gauge so I would have one in 12 and another in 16 gauges. Remember I said earlier that I thought I should be able to change the die set back a little easier since I had done it before? Wrong! It seemed like I did not remember anything, and it took me even longer to change die sets the second time. I say all this to lend credence to the idea that buying complete machines for each gauge might be a lot easier and not too much more expensive than trying to repeatedly change die sets.

I have three Hornady/Pacific 366 progressive machines in 12, 16, and 20 gauges. In addition, I also have the two MEC Sizemasters in 12 and 16 gauges, and I have a MEC Jr. in 20 gauge. I mostly use the progressive machines, but when I have just a few special loads that I am experimenting with, I go to the single stage machines. I think the MEC machines are really good solid machines that will last a lifetime. On my Jr machine, I added the automatic primer drop option that comes as part of the Sizemaster machines. The automatic primer drop add on is a really nice feature and worth the dollars to me.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

roy reali

re:David Wile

I mostly use the progressive machines, but when I have just a few special loads that I am experimenting with, I go to the single stage machines.

I might eventually get a progressive machine. But the amount of reloading I am currently doing is easily done on a single stage.

David Wile

Hey Roy,

You are absolutely right. If you don't need a progressive, there is no sense in getting one. And your MEC Junior is a great machine that will last your lifetime and then be passed off to another generation to use another lifetime.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile