270gr WFN 44 mag load suggestions?

totaldla

I just picked up some Leadhead 270gr, plain base, .430", LBT-design, WFN for my S&W329pd. I'm looking for a 1100fps load out of this 4" barrel. I've got LilGun, H110, Enforcer, 2400, and AA#9 on hand. If anyone has any experience with these, I'd appreciate the sharing of information. I'm about to load up test sets and there's not much info on this bullet.

totaldla

Any idea what the 4" tube velocity would be for that starting load? I'd hate to waste bullets Chrono'ing 800fps plinkers.

My data sources for AA#9 don't agree very well, and thats for the 270gr Speer GD. They differ by 1.3gr for both the starting and max loads. They also differ on whether or not to use a mag primer. I know AA#9 will give me the velocity (~1100fps) I want without problems - I'd just like to see how AA#9 stacks up against the other powders without wasting all my bullets.

Last edited:

totaldla

WESHOOT2: That AA#9 load was the best shooting of the powders/sets I tried. Right at 1100fps, soft recoil, not much leading, fresh lemony scent and 63mpg :)

WESHOOT2

I take giving load advice VERY seriously

Glad it delivered.

AA9 is an oft-overlooked choice, sadly; it is very good.