270 WSM

Bayoubulldog

I am looking into getting a new caliber rifle soon. I want something new and unique that does everything i need it to do. Normally that would be whitetail, but ill be hog hunting soon and my father and i have been planning a black bear and/or elk hunt for years. When he hits retirement in the next year or so, we are going to take some big trips!

So, I've been researching the 270 WSM. From everything I read they're a bit faster than a standard 270 win. and there is just something cool about those odd WSM rounds! (A good friend hunts with a 300 WSM and loves it, which is what turned me on to the WSM.)

Like I said, I like something unique but versatile. I hunt whitetail with a 30-06 and I know it can do elk/moose/bear, but let's look into adding a new cartridge to the safe!

What are your thoughts on the 270 WSM in general? I'll be reloading my own rounds eventually so ammo scarcity isn't a HUGE problem for me. It needs to be able to do big North American game, which I am sure it will. How's the recoil vs. A standard 270?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Wyosmith

I own one in a Benelli R1 Auto. I killed a large elk with it last season at just under 400 yards and I have killed several deer too.

It shoot my handload with Nosler 160 grain bullets quite well, but it is finicky. Most other loads shot from poor to "pretty ok" but the load of H1000 with the heavy Nosler shoots very close to MOA. About 1-1/4 in fact.

I may sell the rifle because I had my fun with it, but to be honest it doesn't shoot as tight as my two 270 Winchesters which I made on Mauser actions.

Boogershooter

My wife loves hers. Recoil isn't bad unless you get a really lightweight rifle. Hers is a browning white gold medallion and shoots factory ammo out to 400 yards with no problems. She shoots the 130 grain nosler ballistic tips. She's not the most accurate shot but can shoot all day on a 8 inch gong at 400.

jmr40

Several years ago I fell into a used rifle in 300 WSM at a price I couldn't turn down. I've loaded for it and shot it a bunch: hunted with it very little. While I've no 1st hand experience with the 270 WSM version I have done some research on it.

The 300 WSM bridges the gap between 30-06 and 300 WM. With equal weight bullets it is closer to 300 WM speeds, but recoil is almost exactly 1/2 way between the 2.

In theory the 270 WSM should bridge the gap between 270 and 270 WBY mag or 7mm Rem mag, with the same recoil advantages. But when I look at all of my loading manuals I can't see any speed advantage. With some loads MAYBE an additional 50 fps over the older 270. Maybe I've just not looked at the right manuals.

I'm sure the 270 WSM will take any of the game you want to hunt, I just don't see it having any real world advantage over the older 270.

My 300WSM will give me 150-250 fps more speed than my 30-06 depending on bullet weight, about 50-100 fps less than 300 WM. But to be perfectly honest even that advantage isn't huge. I feel my 30-06 can take game up to elk size out to around 500 yards. The 300 WSM carries the same energy levels out an extra 50-75 yards. While I like the rifle I own in 300 WSM, and have come to respect the round, I doubt I'll ever use it much.

If you want to hunt all of those species and want something different and unique I'd suggest a 280. They aren't exactly common, but are every bit as effective as a 30-06. If you REALLY want a WSM, the 300 is the pick of the litter.

Bayoubulldog

Several years ago I fell into a used rifle in 300 WSM at a price I couldn't turn down. I've loaded for it and shot it a bunch: hunted with it very little. While I've no 1st hand experience with the 270 WSM version I have done some research on it.

The 300 WSM bridges the gap between 30-06 and 300 WM. With equal weight bullets it is closer to 300 WM speeds, but recoil is almost exactly 1/2 way between the 2.

In theory the 270 WSM should bridge the gap between 270 and 270 WBY mag or 7mm Rem mag, with the same recoil advantages. But when I look at all of my loading manuals I can't see any speed advantage. With some loads MAYBE an additional 50 fps over the older 270. Maybe I've just not looked at the right manuals.

I'm sure the 270 WSM will take any of the game you want to hunt, I just don't see it having any real world advantage over the older 270.

My 300WSM will give me 150-250 fps more speed than my 30-06 depending on bullet weight, about 50-100 fps less than 300 WM. But to be perfectly honest even that advantage isn't huge. I feel my 30-06 can take game up to elk size out to around 500 yards. The 300 WSM carries the same energy levels out an extra 50-75 yards. While I like the rifle I own in 300 WSM, and have come to respect the round, I doubt I'll ever use it much.

If you want to hunt all of those species and want something different and unique I'd suggest a 280. They aren't exactly common, but are every bit as effective as a 30-06. If you REALLY want a WSM, the 300 is the pick of the litter.
Very interesting! I've looked at the 280 in the past and haven't ever gone back to review it again! I'll take note of your insights!

old roper

Your not reloading yet so it's factory ammo and 270WSM I shot was very capable of taking elk,bear,deer,antelope. I do live Co.

When I downsized couple years ago, my nephew has couple boys and gave him my 270WSM and 300WSM for his boys to hunt with plus all the reloading case,dies etc for those rifles.

One of the member in our gun club shoot 300WSM and got his daughter 270 WSM as she drew youth elk tag New Mexico. He doesn't reload only shoot Win ammo and she took pretty nice bull with 150gr ammo.

I shoot 270 and 270Wby so I'm not recoil shy so 270WSM never bother me.

I don't know what the big deal is about those WSM's. The difference in speeds between the venerable 270 verses its hybrid fat sister 270 WSM isn't all that awe inspiring. But what garners the attention of a Home-Reloader is the larger 20-grain slow burning powder charge the WSM requires to get its 200 FPS speed beyond the its venerable 270 Winchester cartridge. (Both having the same bullet & weight that is.) Honestly the 7MM WSM is a better choice for your purpose now and future hunting plans with your Father. Due to the 7MM rainbow of jacketed bullet weight selections. Any~~ way that's my opinion.

Nathan

I love the WSM case, but I think the 30 is the right size. A 190 gr 30 cal bullet at 3000 fps is good medicine for a lot of game out to 1000 yds.

The 270 WSM crosses a line. It is so fast bullets blow up and it....no problem, high dollar premium ammo is available...at a price.

Recoil is reasonable, but I could be under that recoil level, use cheaper loads, have nearly the same range, hold 3 more rounds....how? 280 Rem! 270 Win not bad either.... 308 Win, 260 Rem, 6.5 creedmor aren't bad choices either.

Want to reload? Reasonably priced brass is as rare as hen's teeth, reasonably priced bullets don't exist, and accuracy loads are a challenge...but not impossible to find.

If I really want a WSM, make mine a 300 WSM.

Bayoubulldog

Your not reloading yet so it's factory ammo and 270WSM I shot was very capable of taking elk,bear,deer,antelope. I do live Co.

I wasn't real clear, because I am already reloading... just not the 270WSM yet! If I get a new rifle/chambering I'll be reloading that asap.

Pretty interesting ideas so far guys!

ballisti

I've had good luck with the 270WSM, including phenomenal accuracy.

Note that if you use 270WSM starting loads from the manual, it gives you the same velocity (and recoil) as top 270 Winchester loads with the same bullet. So - if you do not need top velocity for a particular hunt, just use the starting loads. They are easier on your barrel, too.

So, the 270WSM does everything that any 270 Winchester can do - PLUS you have the option of higher velocity when larger animals or longer shots are in the cards.

Don't let sour-grapes 270 Winchester girls talk you out of something that is significantly better. Personally, I would never order a new rifle in 270, if 270WSM were available in the same gun.

jmr40

Honestly the 7MM WSM is a better choice for your purpose

I agree, except for one issue. The 7mm WSM is all but dead. Winchester came out with the 300 WSM 1st (actually they stole the idea and were later forced to pay in a lawsuit) followed by the 270 WSM. Just as the 7mm version was supposed to be introduced a minor flaw was found and it's introduction was delayed by a year while the design was tweaked. By then the 270 and 300 were established and there just wasn't enough difference to justify it. It never really caught on. But I agree, it should have been the best of the bunch.

I don't know what the big deal is about those WSM's.
Most manufacturers haven't figured it out either. A little history.

Rick Jamison, a gun writer, developed the 300 Jamison wildcat round back in the 1990's. The idea was to give near 300 WM speeds, but with about 20% less recoil. Or about the same recoil, but in a smaller, lighter rifle meant for guys who hunted in mountains. The round has also proven to be more accurate than the other 300 magnums.

He approached Winchester and offered to sell them the rights. They declined, but a year later introduced the 300 WSM, which a jury decided was a copy of the 300 Jamison. Any manufacturer selling WSM rifles or ammo is now paying a royalty to Jamison. This has hurt sales since manufacturers have to either charge more, or make less profit on those. The reason we saw the Ruger and Remington short magnums was only to avoid paying Jamison the royalties. The award was for a specific time period which I believe will expire soon. I look for more manufacturers to offer the rifles and ammo then.

And it delivers. In equal weight rifles my 30-06 will shoot 180's @ 2800 fps with about 22 ft lbs of recoil. A 300 WM will shoot 180's @ 3000 fps with about 30 ft lbs of recoil. My 300 WSM will shoot 180's @ 2950 fps with about 26 ft lbs recoil.

The 300 WSM uses a more efficient case and uses about 10-12 gr less powder than the 300 WM. The combination of about 50 fps less speed and that much less powder being burned makes a noticeable difference in recoil. I don't really notice the 4 ft lbs difference between 30-06 and 300 WSM. But the 8 ft lbs of recoil difference between 30-06 and 300 WM is enough for me to notice.

Most of the WSM rifles offered are standard size and weight rifles which negate the rounds advantages. Only Kimber seems to understand and builds a truly lightweight rifle. A 6-7 lb rifle in the standard magnum calibers is too much for me. But the recoil is tolerable in a lighter WSM.

old roper

Longevity of the 7WSM is strong with custom and this is from another site

May have found my pet load;
7mmWSM
65.4 gr IMR 7828ssc
168gr Berger VLD Hunting
2941 FPS

Longshot Rifles
A-5 McMillan
Broughton 9 twist
Rifle Basix Trigger

Previous load 62.5 H4831sc

Worc

The .270 WSM is a very good round and should work fine for your intended uses. It and the .300 WSM are the more popular Short Mags and will likely be around for quite some time as the others fade away. It's not popular enough that everyone on the block has one, but it's far from being obscure.

GeauxTide

Ah, the Winchester Marketing Magnums. Like any magnum, they need top loads for appreciable gains over standard cartridges. Little difference between them and 2.5" Magnum cartridges, except recoil. The rifles are at least a pound lighter and the recoil velocity is much faster, to me. The terminal velocity of the magnums require Partitions, Barnes, or other bonded bullets due to blowups. Brass is a LOT more expensive. Nosler 7mmRM brass is $66 for 50 and 270WSM is $66 for 25.

ballisti

I used to buy Federal 270WSM factory loads for the brass. They were $35.00 for a box of twenty, if I remember correctly. Look it up at Midway.

The Federal brass worked well for me, I would get 12-15 reloads, but then again I seldom loaded for top velocity.

ballisti

The story that I remember is that the WSM case was designed for 30 caliber, and so is optimized for 30 cal.

As you go to larger and smaller calibers with the WSM case, the theory is that efficiency suffers.

This is not borne out though when 325WSM is considered. the 8mm 325WSM is one of the most efficient cartridges ever designed. To understand why this is so, pick up a reloading manual and compare [velocity/powder charge] for 325WSM and 8mm Remington magnum with identical bullets.

Though it is a short action cartridge typically fired through 22-24" barrels, the 325WSM comes very close to velocities from the magnum-action 8mm Rem mag that requires a long barrel, and it does it with significantly less powder. (And recoil)

The 325WSM is another WSM sleeper... Use starting loads and it performs like an 8x57 European load (30-06 equivalent) but with max loads it closely approaches the monster 8mm Rem mag. Like the 300WSM, it can handle any big game hunting situation, but does a bit better than the 300WSM on larger critters like elk, moose and especially brown bear.

With starting loads and the lighter bullets, it is a great deer rifle. With heavier bullets and max loads, it's a good grizzly rifle. - It is hard to match, much less beat that kind of versatility.

Looking at the numbers, one would have to be tradition-bound to the point of being a Luddite to overlook the advantages that the WSM case offers to knowledgeable shooters.

brianinca

I won a rifle in 270 WSM ten years ago, else I wouldn't have a magnum in my safe at all. I haven't seen the need for something more magnum than 3006. I don't even like the rife all that much, a stainless Weatherby with a heavy laminate stock. Pretty but I don't dig stainless. The "adjustable" factory trigger SUCKED. I popped for a Timney (just a Howa 1500 underneath) and ran 80 rds of factory ammo through it to get it broken in. After that, I liked the rifle and REALLY like the caliber. I've got brass I haven't trimmed after four loadings, the rifle is accurate with several different non-lead bullets from Barnes and Hornady (still have a Nosler load to work up), I can shoot light 6.8mm bullets or heavy 150 gr GMX thumpers. High velocity is easy to get to with plain old H4350. I had much more trouble working up good 270 Win non-lead loads for my FIL's early 70's M700. I went with Barnes 130's on his because he wanted it "flat shooting" - the 150 gr Barnes are faster in my 270 WSM according to my basic Chrony. Both 22" barrels, too. I killed one buck with Barnes 110's and decided to take a weight advantage since distance isn't an issue where we hunt.

I've since been keeping an eye out for a Savage pre-fit barrel (small shank of course). Have a stock already and a predilection for Savages. Unfortunately my Jeep gun is now a 300 Blackout and the handiness is winning the "what do I bring this time" war.

trooper3385

I had pretty much forgot about this site. First time I've logged in since 2013. Anyway, my experience is with the 270 WSM in a Browning A bolt and 300 WSM in the Browning X bolt. I held out for a long time before buying the first one because of all the talk that the WSM's would not survive. Although I doubt they will ever be as popular as the original cartridges, I don't see either of these two dying out anytime soon. I couldn't be happier with the two. I have a bunch of hunting rifles in a variety of calibers and these two are my go to guns 9 out of 10 times. If I could only pick one, I would go with the 300 WSM. the accuracy is as good as any of my rifles. To get the full potential out of a 300 WM or a 300 Weatherby mag, you need to go with the 26 in barrel. The 300 WSM is close in ballistics as the other two with a 22 in barrel in the short action which is lighter. The difference in a pound or 2 or a few inches in barrel length doesn't seem like that big of a deal until you have lugged it around all day long. My 8 yr old daughter hunts with me a lot of the time now so I end up hauling around 2 guns half the time. I've never followed along with the old line that always gets used "Well you can't walk into any hardware store in the country and find WSM cartridges" or "every hardware store in the country stocks 270 and 30-06." I've hunted all over the world and never found myself having to go buy cartridges at the local hardware store. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another in either of the two calibers. Although I have no experience with it, I've heard good things about the 325 WSM as well

AllenJ

What are your thoughts on the 270 WSM in general? I'll be reloading my own rounds eventually so ammo scarcity isn't a HUGE problem for me. It needs to be able to do big North American game, which I am sure it will. How's the recoil vs. A standard 270?

I am a fan of the WSM line, I've owned a 300 WSM and currently own a 7 WSM. A good friend got the 270 WSM in a Weatherby Vanguard S2 and it is a very accurate rifle, he regularly shoots sub .75 three shot groups with it. He began reloading after getting his and is having great results with Barnes TSX bullets and MagPro powder.

Reloading for the WSM does take require some different equipment. First thing I found out was my RCBS loading block did not fit. Mine was older though so buying a new one fix that. Next I found that my RCBS Kinetic bullet puller (again an older one) would not work, the case holding chuck would not fit the fat brass so I had to pick up a new one of those. If you decap before cleaning you'll need to make sure your decapping die accepts the WSM cases too.

Recoil is so subjective, I shot a Ruger 270 Win with a boat paddle stock once....and only once. That rifle really kicked and even the owner said it was the hardest kicking 270 he'd ever shot. When shooting my friends 270 WSM I don't find the recoil offensive. It would not be something I would want to shoot all day long but for a hunting rifle I would not have an issue with it.