.270 WSM

wpcexpert

First question is what fits you the best.

Second, what can you afford.

Do you have it narrowed between a few different types? You could possibly get about 100 different answers to that open of a question.

I like my Winchester Model 70 in 7mm WSM. I got the whole scope/rifle deal for $399.99. I've got it shooting just over an inch groups with handloading.

I like the savage line of rifles. And you can't go wrong with a Rem 700. They have a pretty extensive line of different models. It all comes down to what fits you the best and what you can afford. Then you need to top it with quality glass.

After that, where are you going to be hunting? Carrying it a long distance, stand hunting, stalking? Give us a bit more info and we'll be more than happy to help.

GeauxTide

If you reload, get a standard 270 with a 24" barrel. In equal barrel lengths, it gives up nothing and the brass and ammo is half the cost.

K.J.C.

Im hunting in the willamete and mckenzie in the cascades/willamete valley range, and some eastern oregon in the sylvies unit. Ill be doing quite a bit of walking, some riding in truck, mayb a quad. The black tail areas I hunt can range anywhere from mountains and hills thick with trees and brush too huge wide open clear cuts up in the hills. Over east east theres the typical light wooded hills, and the wide open desert flats with sage and rock bluffs.

davlandrum

KJC,

I am in your neck of the woods and hunt both west and east, so know exactly what type of terrain you are talking about.

I don't have an answer to your post, but am curious why you want a .270 WSM?

Obviously, it is your call, but I would not go that direction myself. Cost of feeding alone would make me look to something else.

kraigwy

I agree, why a 270 WSM, I killed a few deer with my 270 win and desided to go back to my 257 Roberts, The 270 tears up enough meat, can't understand why I would consider the short mag, unless I wanted to tear up meat faster.

I have a little buck hanging now that I neck shot, dern near ripped his head off.

No sir, I'll save my 270 Win for elk.

But if you want a light rifle, I dont think you can beat the new FN Model 70 Feather wiights, I have on in 270 Win and its quite the shooter.

But my 257 Roberts is a post 64 Model 70 that I've used for about 20 years and I never had a problem with it. It too is a tack driver and both are light enough for hiking.

dwwhite

I've got one of the USRAC Model 70's in .270 WSM and really like it. Check with CDNN as they currently have some of the pre-FN 70's in synthetic stocks for worth the money.

You do need to really make sure that you want the short mag though. The only reason I bought mine over a regular .270 is that it was a really good deal and it was left handed. As you might have heard, left handed rifles are pretty scarce if you don't like the Savage design. :mad:

That said, if you reload, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the WSM. This will negate the ammo availability/cost issue, and allows you to tailor your loads to your game. I load 130's at about 2900 fps for our relatively small Texas deer (I know, I know, not everything's bigger down here:D), but I have the ablity to really pour on the coal if I want to try an elk or something bigger/meaner.

If you don't reload, I might try a caliber that is a little more available and cheaper.

FWIW, some will take issue with the supposedly shorter barrel life of the short mags, but my take is that on a hunting rifle, this is probably a non issue.

Armed Citizen

I have the Remington 700SPS in .270WSM, with a 3-9x40 Nikon Team Primos BDC scope. It's a tack driver, it sees action for deer & could probably take elk or moose size game as well. Ammo cost's a little more but I like it and that's what counts. I happen to come across this one on sale at cabela's on clearance actually for $439.99 runs about $550 or so normally. It was a deal at the time I didn't want to pass up. Plus Remington had a rebate going for $40 at the time.