270 WSM and primers

Savagehawg

Getting ready to load 270 WSM, my question is about primers some load data is for Magnum primers and some is for Large Rifle using same powders just different manuals. Ask my dad and his only thought would be for ball type or short grain powders maybe use the Magnum because of the load density of those powders verses say longer extruded powders such as IMR 4350 using Large Rifles

GeauxTide

Hornady X recommends Mag primers. Consider that you're lighting 60+ grains of slower powders. For example, I can get easily light 55gr of RL-19 (IMR4350 class) in my 280 and get less than 20fps Extreme Spread. Same 139gr GMX in my 7mm Rem Mag, I use LRM to light 64gr of RL-19 to get similar Extreme Spread. If you don't have a Chrony, then load 5, each, with LR and LRM. Be sure every other component is identical. Most accurate load will have the lowest Extreme Spread.

old roper

The 270WSM I loaded for, had my best luck using Magpro,150gr with Fed 215 primer. I used Nosler data except for primer they used WLRM and I tried H-1000 and R-22.

When I down sizes I gave that rifle to my nephew along with some others and he's still using that load.