270 Winchester reloading

KnightofCydonia

Hi,

I just got a R700 Mountain Rifle in 270 Win that I want to work up a 150 grain load for. I will be reloading for the Nosler 150gr BT and 150gr Partition.

I've been doing a lot of reading to pick the best powder. IMR, Hodgdon 4350 vs 4831 seems to be really popular, as well as RL-22.

For my specific rifle and bullet weight, based on your guys' experiences which type of powder (4350 vs 4831) is better, and can somebody explain the differences between Hodgdon's powder vs IMR.

Lastly, I also want to reload for my 30-30 Winchester and 8x57mm. Of the two powders above, have any of you had experience using them in these calibers as well? I'd like to consolidate a powder for all 3, but if not, I'd like some recommendations for powders that I can also pick up in one bulk buy. I was thinking IMR 4064 for these 30-32 caliber cartridges. I like shooting 170gr bullets in my 30-30. What do you recommend? And for the 8mm mauser I want to shoot 200gr bullets, I was thinking a Nosler Partition.

Thanks in advance!

T. O'Heir

Do not buy anything but primers and maybe bullets in bulk until you have worked up the load. Especially powder. Regardless of any 'deal'. Your rifles may hate all of those powders.
Neither powder is better. You'll probably find that one load will do nicely for both bullets. Same weight. Reloading is done by the bullet weight, not who made it or the construction.
I've found, over 40 plus years, that the best powder is the one used for the 'accuracy' load in your manual. Mind you, not all manuals give that. Lyman's does and so does No$ler's site.
"...Hodgdon's powder vs IMR..." The burn rate is very slightly different. IMR430 is #115 vs H4350's #117. IMR4831 is #124 vs #128 for the H4831/H4831SC. Lower numbers burn faster, but close does not mean the same.
Max loads of IMR4350(85 FPS faster) and IMR4831(11 FPS faster) for a 150 grain bullet are slightly faster than the 'H' powders. That doesn't help in any way because you have to try 'em both out of your rifle. Reloading is just like that. It's about tailoring the ammo for your rifle.
"...thinking IMR4064..." I use it for .30-06 with Match bullets out of my 1903A4. It'd do for both, but it'll depend some on what rifle your 8mm is. Milsurps are different critters than commercial hunting rifles. Same process for reloading though, but the accuracy usually isn't there.

totaldla

Those powders are too slow for the 30-30. The powders appropriate for the 30-30 are too fast for the 270.

BumbleBug

You didn't mention your hunting intentions for the .270, but why 150 gr bullets? The 130 gr bullet has long been considered ideal for the .270 Win.

603Country

For the 270, i’ve used H4831 for many years. IMR4831 is also good, though enough faster than the H4831 that loads aren’t interchangeable. Less of the IMR, particularly near max loads, is wise (ask how I know). And if not a version of 4831, try H4350.

Reloader270

I cannot comment on which powder is best for the reason that we only recently got Hodgdon and IMR powders in SA. However, what I find working well for me is to load with Nosler BT for testing and practicing and then I load the Nosler Accubonds for my hunt (however, the BT bullet would also be fine for most hunts, but meat damage would be more for obvious reasons). In test I have done the point of impact is the same. When you substitute the BT bullet with a Partition bullet the point of impact would definitely change due to different design of the bullet.

std7mag

While not a 270Win, my 280 Rem is close.
I've been shooting 150gr ELDX, Ballistic Tip, and the ABLR.
Powders so far have been RL17, RL19, RL22, IMR 4831, H414, Norma MRP, and Power Pro 4000.
All the above powders have shot extremely well.
Haven't had the time or weather to chrono yet.
May need to borrow Kilotankers Magnetospeed. :D

KnightofCydonia

Great thanks fellas. I'll pick up some IMR4831 and start working up a load. My plan was to use the Nosler BT for range used deer, and the partition for bigger and heavier game.

Last edited:

RC20

Great thanks fellas. I'll pick up some IMR4380

IMR 4350?

The 4350 powder is a good one to try first. H4350 if you can get it is a bit less temp sensitive. I use IMR4350 for mine and works well.

603Country

One thing to mention on H4350 or IMR4350, is that the 6.5 Creedmoor folks consume a lot of it, making it hard to find sometimes. That won’t be the case with 4831. And R17 can be hard to find. I use that in my 260 because 4350 was so hard to find, but the R17 isn’t that common on shelves. Super accurate powder in my 260, so even if I can find 4350 (which I can now), I’m not changing.

As for 270 bullets, I’ve used 130 Nosler BTs for decades and killed hundreds of deer and never felt the need to move to 140’s or 150’s. If you can’t kill a deer with the 130’s, it isn’t the bullet’s fault. And because of the success with the BTs, I’ve never felt the need to use the Accubonds. But that’s just my humble opinion.

RC20

We have plenty of IRM4350 with H being hard to find.

R17 comes and goes. Gone right now, I was going to pick up a 5 lb jug.

H4831 has been steady available. Seems to do better in the 06.

std7mag

RC20,
IRM??? :D

RL17 plentiful around these parts. Same IMR 4350.
H4350, anything Ramshot or Norma not so much.

RaySendero

H4895 would be a good powder to start reloading both the 30-30 and 8x57.

H4350 would be a good powder to start reloading a 270W

I shoot the same 270 powders you commented. I much prefer 4350 vs 4831 in my 270 because the latter's recoil is a bit sharper feeling on this shoulder.

Although~ I {do not use} the 150 gr bullet weights. If I were to shoot 150 gr weight. I'd un-case my 30-06 for that effort. Only because its bullet mass is 3 calibers larger than a 270s.

What is the difference between IMR & Hodgdon you ask?
Hodgdon buys/repackages military surplus powders and over-run canister powders from powder makers World wide. Hodgdon since its existence has never ever made a powder to my knowledge (Only imports). Dupont/IMR made almost all of their powders prior to the Korean conflict. And at a time was considered the Gold Standard to all powder manufactures World wide.

The two above powders aren't preferenced for 30-30 use although may be useful for your 8X57. The only powder I use for my 30-30's & 32 specials?~~ AA-2230. Being a granular powder not a stick. 2230~Has continually given me the tightest groupings over all the other powders I've tried.
Being a few of my small case capacity rifles are not scoped. 2230s ongoing grouping benefit? "Is certainly handy-dandy in my neck of the woods."

270 reloading

I'd try 130gr bullets over some H4831SC, classic bullet weight & powder for the great 270.....read up on what old "Cactus" Jack O'Connor had to say about it, just sayin'!

cdoc42

I have a Win M70 that shoots a Speer 130gr flat base at 1"or less but won't do it with a boat tail 130gr Speer. I use H4831.

I have a Rem 700 from 1966 that won't shoot anything but 150gr Hornady Spire OR round nose with H4831.

I have a newer Rem 700 stainless that shoot a Hornady 140gr SST better than anything else, with H4831

I had, but sold, a Sako .270 that shot a 130gr Rem Corlok better than anything else. with H4831.

In these rifles I used H414, H4350, IMR4350, IMR4831, H1000, and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head, during 44 years of reloading. I started with H4895 when I didn't know what I was doing in 1966 and it locked up my Rem 700 bolt which made me read a lot more before moving on. I used 100gr Speer HP and Spitzers; Nosler 130-140-150 Ball Tips; Sierra; Barnes 150; Hornady 130-140-150 in SST and Spires.

In my early years I also used a cast 75gr bullet which came out of the rifle and hit the dirt about 30yards to my left. Only shot that one once.

I don't think you can go wrong with 150gr in .270 despite O'Conner's love for 130gr. I dropped a buck right where he stood one day and my son did the same with a black bear.

Last edited:

Pathfinder45

My current 270 shoots best with Nosler 150 grain Partition bullets with a maximum charge of Norma N-205, a long-discontinued powder. I am about to resume experimenting with Norma MRP to see if it will be a worthy replacement. My rifle is a Winchester model 70 Classic Sporter and has a 24" barrel. The best bullet is which ever one your individual rifle prefers. You can generally get more power and longer range performance from 150 grain bullets than 130 grain bullets if your rifle will shoot them well enough at maximum velocity.

pete2

I didn't see where anyone answered your question of the difference between Hodgdon and IMR powders. The answer on the 4831s is that IMR 4831 is faster burning than H4831. I started loading in the mid 60s with H4831 in a .243. It was surplus powder repackaged by Hodgdon. When I started shooting a .270 years later it was during a time when H4831 wasn't on the shelf, IMR was so now I use IMR 4831 in both rifles. It seems that IMR was available, H wasn't. I don't know what you'll find on the shelf now, I haven't bought any 4831 in many years. I suspect H may be more available since Hodgdon owns IMR now. Don't buy large qtys. of powder or bullets til you get a load worked up.